here is a general overview of our process for dealing with bad parts from
vendors....

- all purchased parts are received with a 'u' transaction, even if  obviously
bad  at time of
     receipt (because an invoice is likely already sitting in our a/p
department, and we've
     found it is easier to let a/p do std processing and then follow up on
problems later -
     which may strike you as odd, but we found that the time wasted due to
confusion caused
     by not receiving the po was extensive / got to be expensive)
- when material is found to be non-conforming:
      - plant notifies buyer via a non-conforming product report, isolates
inventory in a non-
          nettable warehouse/location
      - buyer notifies vendor, who can decide if they want the parts sent back
or scrapped at
          our facility
      - buyer updates the non-conforming product report with appropriate
disposition, forwards
          to material handling group
      - VS transaction performed by materials technician if vendor said scrap
parts / VR
          transaction performed if vendor said return parts
      - copy of non-conforming product report delivered to a/p department
      - our company always debits the supplier / takes the value off of the next
payment to vendor...
          we do NOT wait for credit letters from vendors
      - a/p is able to process against the VR or VS transaction, as it will
already be performed in
          system when they get the non-conforming product report
      - if more parts are needed, buyer cuts an entirely new purchase order
- so our non-conforming product report is the key to the entire process, and
includes information
     like:  item # / vendor / qty / po# / non-conformance detail / price ea /
etc.

we have never had a problem with the vr or vs transaction
the transaction we do stay away from is the vc, because we don't want to clutter
the po which
    already had a problem more by getting additional parts / invoices against it

bjs

"Roel Bakker" <RBakker@mhimee.nl> on 11/15/2001 03:31:27 AM

Please respond to bpcs-l@midrange.com