Antonio,

You have broached a topic near and dear to me so I thought I would provide some
tips that have served me well over the years.

One of the most important issues in disaster recovery is to understand the
cost-benefit relationship with regards to protecting your data.  The rule is:
The cost increases logarithmically the closer you get to real time data
recovery. The practical application of the rule states that the cost for
getting back data in a day is very cheap and can be handled by a good
backup/recovery procedure.  If for example you want to have immediate failure
on a hardware error, that is going to cost you.  You have to asses if your
business demands 100% uptime or can it settle with less. Most shops do not have
100% uptime requirements, although they like to think they do, so be honest
when you gather your requirements.

Several BPCS clients I have worked with developed High-Availability solutions
using 3rd party products such as MIMIX from Lakeview Technologies or
DataMirror.  These products can replicate your BPCS production data to other
iSeries machines or iSeries partitions.  The beauty of this solution is that it
provides complete data redundancy on a separate platform while minimizing the
CPU impact on your production machine.

Journaling does provide some protection but at a fairly high CPU cost.  I would
think long and hard about the using journaling before implementing it as the
sole data recovery solution.  For now I would focus on having a rock solid
backup and recovery process in place, be sure to test your recovery procedure
at least twice a year.

Since you are new to BPCS I would suggest reading the SSA Redbook
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg245410.html?Open
The book is a couple years old now but has some great tips for implementing
BPCS and keeping your environment running smoothly. You can download it free
from IBM or have it shipped to you for around $40.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to email me at
--
[ Content of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]