We have factories in different states also.

We do our inventory costing planning by facility.
We do not co-mingle what is at the different facilities, because there is a
lead time to get materials from one to another ... it is short but finite.

They are able to make same part on same day because MRP differentiates by

Item / Facility / Method

It is rare that 2 factories would be making the same part, but typically for
any given customer ship-to location, all their production is done at one of
our facilities, except for some specialization where one facility can make
leads or blocks or something in high volume for the whole enterprise.

We had a case of one customer with multiple facilities in which they were
ordering the same part but each facility was at a different revision level.
We had to violate our own item numbering conventions to handle that one.

Only one production planner can be running some MRP tasks like MRP540 at the
same time.

If you are not using facilities & depending on how much advance warning you
have,
you could release what needs to be released to shop orders, or firm up one of
the two for the other quantity, then run an MRP net change to recalculate all
the quantities on the other method.

Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode
@ http://www.cen-elec.com