From: MacWheel99@aol.com [mailto:MacWheel99@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 10:17 AM
To: bpcs-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Alternate Routings / BOM

An idea for Bharat

We make reels of wire for our own internal use.
Some customers order some of these reels, in addition to the parts we
manufacture to their specifications.
For purposes of customer-friendly relations, the end items we ship to our
customers are THEIR part numbers.
This means that if there is a reel of wire that more than one customer is
ordering, it is in our data base under the part number of each customer &
also under our part # system ... same identical item.
We can handle this several ways, such as BOM but no routings to get from our
item to customer item.  Basically the customer requirement drives MRP DRP
for
us to make our part # in sufficient quantity for both our internal needs &
the customer orders, but there is no real production, it is just a
relabeling
/ repackaging step, that consumes our part # & creates the customer part #.

Assuming you not have a lot of cases of same item with multiple plans,
you might consider a part # that includes line # 2 in the item #

You are in MRP540 or MRP510 or whatever & you create a requirement for the #
2 version that is whatever quantity you deduct from the # 1 version.

It might be possible to write a little program that looks at the LOAD, or
whatever reason triggers this, or items you key in, to do the math for you.

Thanks all for the cool information answering my original questions.

With your directions I went & looked at the software & it sure works in 405
CD.
I showed it to co-workers ... something that we can do in BPCS that I did
not
know before.  I suggested we consider this the next time we need to do some
repairs.

Currently with repairs, they copy BOM & Routings to new part number with "R"
in end of item, then change the copy to spell out what needs repairing.  God
forbid that we would have two different repairs in house at the same time on
the same item.

I also dug into the documentation a bit to see the implications.
This is supported by BOM MRP SFC but
there is no field in FLT or ITH to track which method was used in any given
production run ... we match up labor & inventory reporting history against
FRT standards to check our performance.
Also I see that method codes must be pre-defined via SYS135 SYS115 & tied
into CST140 when using the kind that has production invisible to costing or
vica versa.

405 CD does have MRP640 but we have not been using it.
Ditto MRP510.

There is a report they run right before MRP540 - I not remember off hand
which one - we modified it to show total requirements in the selected date
range because if some item is due this week & also next week, or in 2-3
consecutive days, sometimes they combine quantities & the pre-totals makes
this easy.

I'm thinking I need to add to that ... which of these requirements have
alternative methods available, so at shop order release time there is
minimum
hassle for the production planner seeing our options.