  • Subject: Re: QPFRADJ/BPCS Performance
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:09:53 EDT

Samantha

I trust you now in BPCS-L as I suggested to you when you first posted this
thread on MIDRANGE-L.  I also promised I would get this info to someone I met
on BPCS_L but now I forget whom.

The IBM Red Book on BPCS Performance from
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/
is officially SG24-5410
"Implementing SSA's eBPCS on the AS/400 System"
it is approx 440 pages in size (we downloaded it & printed it out & put in a
binder)

This is a heavy manual, not for the beginner.  Think how intense the Work
Management Manual Is, or the 4 volume set of CL innards ... well they are
child's play compared to this Bible on BPCS Performance on versions of BPCS
prior to V8.  Plan on digesting this information in small morsels - a few at
a time.

This reference manual is not into BPCS application management stuff like
reorgs & which files & other BPCS objects grow unchecked to infinity, rather
it is on
sizing methodology in conversions & corporate growth;
security review;
DB2 & SQL concepts as used by BPCS;
BPCS objects work management;
400 performance tuning in the BPCS reality, such as solving well known
bottlenecks (well known to old timers on BPCS_L);
navigating OSG;
glossary of SSA lingo;
and related topics.

This reference work has good info for administrators new to the 400, or new
to BPCS on the 400.  The content is primarily for those on V6 variants,
although it does get into some 405CD stuff, and mixed mode vs. client server
realities.

This should not be your starting point on figuring out how to improve BPCS
Performance, but before you get done, a copy ought to be in your collection
of manuals.

Check the BPCS-L archives for other folks mini-reviews of other BPCS
documentation resources.

Are you in Germany?
I observed that your e-mail server seemed to favor what looks to me like
German, but I am no language expert.
If so, you might like to know that there's a discussion group very much like
what Midrange dot com does, except in German.  I not remember URL.  It's in
MIDRANGE-L archives some place.  You personally have no need of this because
you are obviously quite fluent in English, but tracking down the service may
be of benefit to any co-workers you might have who are less gifted than you.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---