  • Subject: Re: Feedback on quality of DS Solutions manual
  • From: Dslic@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:20:33 EDT

Barry,

As the author of the Overview Reference Manual for BPCS, I wish to provide
more information regarding the manual.  The purpose of the manual is to
provide an Overview of the major products (modules) of BPCS.  The target
audience is those individuals who need an Overview of BPCS and how the
different products (modules) work together.

It is not targeted to the person who performs receiving (PUR550) all day or
as a technical programming guide.  However, BPCS Project Leaders and IS
Managers find it useful as a single source of Overview information that they
can quickly reference to ensure that all critical elements of a given product
(module) are being addressed.

The "quality" of the manual is very high.  To date, hundreds of manuals have
been sold to 120 different companies in 12 countries.  With a money back
guarantee, there is no risk to you.

I can provide a more detailed packet of information, if requested directly to
dslicker@dssolutionsinc.com.

Finally, below is more information about the contents and benefits of the
manual.  I hope this answers all your questions and if not, please feel free
to contact me directly.

This Overview Reference Manual for BPCS V6.1.00 addresses the major products
(ie. modules) of Configurable Enterprise Financials, Supply Chain Management
and Multi-Mode Manufacturing.  For each product, this Reference Manual
provides the user with summarized information and critical element checklists
that ensure the highest level of implementation effectiveness.  Some of the
key reference information provided for each product is:

Integration with other Products
This section lists the key information provided to and received from other
BPCS products.  This helps you understand how the various BPCS products work
together and the potential integration issues between the different areas of
your organization.

Product Flow
This section identifies the major master files within the product and also
shows the sequence and relationship between these major master files.  In
addition, this section provides you with the actual file names, which is
useful when creating user defined reports.

System Parameters
This section identifies the system parameters related to the product and the
program used to maintain these system parameters.  This listing helps you
ensure that NO system parameters are overlooked.

Master Files
This section defines the master files contained within the product and for
each master file, the following is provided:

*   File name
*   Definition
*   System reserved values
*   Program used for maintenance

This is an excellent summary of the master files and can be used as a
starting point for developing your company specific procedures and training
materials.

Processing
This section identifies all processing programs within the product and
provides you with detailed flowcharts, which depict the flow of programs used
and files updated.  This section is extremely beneficial in helping you to
develop company specific procedures, process flows and user defined reports.

Reports and Inquiries
These section provides you with a complete listing of all the reports and
inquiries available within the product.  This information provides you with a
checklist to ensure that all reports and inquiries have been reviewed and
documented.

Master File Appendix
This appendix identifies each major file within BPCS V6.1.00 and organizes
the files by product and then alphabetically, rather than just
alphabetically.  This type of organization is not available in other BPCS
documentation and helps you quickly locate the files related to your area of
concern.  This facilitates the
writing of user defined reports and queries.  This appendix alone makes the
Reference Manual an invaluable tool for the IT professional and user
community.

David Slicker
President
DS Solutions, Inc.