  • Subject: RE: Onhand quantity.
  • From: "Bailey, Dick" <Dick_Bailey@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:36:34 -0500

Title: RE: Onhand quantity.

        You will find my name on many entries on this subject in the archives. We're on 6.1

        After fixing several BPCS programs (BPCS issued BMRs incorporating the fixes) because the programs failed to clear quantities from the previous record processed (and therefore picked up erroneous issues, receipts, etc), I believed like you that when an error ocurred ILI was correct. I no longer believe that and analyze every instance. I believe that anyone using BPCS should have a routine program that compares ITH transactions to ILI, IWI and IIM records every day for every part.

        Below is my recap of errors we have found so far over the past month:

1 - Kit ships, components get B transaction instead of =, kit part number gets no transaction (instead of += and B), but IWI and IIM MTD  Issues increment by one.

2 - New IWI record is created by the Configurator program, for a configured component (mast or frame) and IIM receives an erroneous opening balance quantity - 1,2 or 4 usually.

3 - New IWI record is created when a Customer Order is entered for a configured item and IIM receives an opening balance quantity - 1,2 or 4 usually.

4 - Move transaction processing from B/C was interrupted by an error ( invalid date). Operator did not investigate, but merely re-started the program. One half of the move transaction processed, other half did not.

5 - Kit shipped with ELA records showing a partial quantity of the components allocated (4 of 6). The components posted out at the partial quantity at the location inventory level (ILI) but at the order quantity level at the warehouse level (IWI).  The parent kit number processed correctly. CO had been allocated, re-allocated, de-allocated and allocated again.

6 - Receiving Transaction (U) incremented all fields and files correctly, but SFC500 removed the changed MTD Receipts total from IWI when it completed processing immediately after the U.  It is believed that SFC500 read data from IWI just prior to the U transaction processing, and completed its process just after, adding the new allocations total by replacing the "old" record. By this time the "old" record contained the receipt.

        Dick Bailey
        MCFA