  • Subject: RE: Data transfer
  • From: "Lacelle, Marc" <LACELLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:23:06 -0400

Hi Ho

        Very nice weather this week. 300 pound black bear in back yard
though. Beats snow.

        I always use Biff Excel 5. I find it better. Any hoot. Your problem
maybe with a NON NUMERIC column. Data files on the AS/400(BPCS) contain
alpha fields and when downloaded to an Excel spread sheet, these alpha
fields are converted to numeric.

1. The AS/400 file you are trying to upload to.

        Identify which fields are numeric and which are alpha

2. The Excel spread sheet you are using for the upload

        Make sure you are mapping numeric columns to numeric fields on the
AS/400 and the same for the alpha columns.

        Be Careful: The IIM file contains the field IPROD. This field when
downloaded to Excel will convert alpha to numeric Example: Item
number 123456 it will convert this to numeric.

3. In Excel the ONLY guaranteed way of converting a numeric field to alpha
is      by using the CONCATENATE function. After using this function you
will notice that the field becomes left justified(alpha) and not right
justified(numeric). I hope this helps

Marc "I need a bear trap" Lacelle
Royal Canadian Mint

The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to be among the "35 Best Companies to Work
For in Canada" in 2001, according to the Globe and Mail's Report On Business
Magazine.

La Monnaie royale canadienne est fière de se retrouver, pour l'an 2001,
parmi les «35 meilleures entreprises où travailler au Canada», selon la
revue Report On Business du Globe and Mail.

+---