i have to reply to this as it took us a time to get batch billing running. but
we did. i may have forgotten some of the details but the problem is not with
BIL500, it is with BIL501. (by the way this is version 6.04)

BIL500 is the billing selection program. you enter your selection parameters
into this program and it scans the BBH/BBL files to find orders ready to be
billed that meet your selection parameters. when it finds an order it updates a
field in the BBH/BBL record with the user id if the person that ran BIL500. at
the end of the program BIL500 it is going to submit a separate batch job that
invokes BIL501. BIL501 is always run in batch. BIL500 may be run interactively,
or it may be run in batch, but upon completion, it always submits a separate
batch job of BIL501 that actually produces the invoices.

so my guess is that you are submitting the BIL500 job to batch and it is
probably selecting BBH/BBL records for billing. my guess is that after BIL500
completes it is submitting the BIL501 job to some job queue where the BIL501
job is not running. and remember that the BIL501 job needs the LDA set and
other things. the other thing is that if you are submitting the BIL500 job from
some type of scheduling system, the scheduling system will not know about the
existence of the separate BIL501 job. it may then submit a subsequent job upon
the completion of BIL500, when you may not want subsequent jobs to run until
BIL501 completes.

we got around the problem as follows: (it's been a while but i think i remember
most of the details)
we created a CL program that runs BIL500 and BIL501. the CL program has the
parameters for both. we direct the BIL501 job that BIL500 submits to a dummy
job queue as we do not want that job to run. instead we want BIL501 run by our
CL where we can control where the output goes. the last step of this CL program
is to delete the BIL501 program in the dummy job queue.

hope that this gets you going in the right direction.

chick doe
barton instrument systems

>>> JTechmeier@medalcraft.com 04/27/01 12:50PM >>>
I created an RPG program to build the parameter lists for submitting BIL500
to batch. It builds the lists as follows:

W7PLST
   xfsts   1    A    '1'
   xdata   1    A    '0'
   xwsid   10   A    'TCP01'
   xd4fg   1    A    '0'
   xfill1  243  A    blanks

W7SLST
   xinvp   1    A    '0'
   xinvd   8,0  P    current date
   xcons   6,0  P    0
   xfldn   6,0  P    0
   xtldn   6,0  P    999999
   xfspn   3,0  P    0
   xtspn   3,0  P    999
   xfscu   6,0  P    0
   xtscu   6,0  P    999999
   xfcus   6,0  P    0
   xtcus   6,0  P    999999
   xfshp   4,0  P    0
   xtshp   4,0  P    9999
   xford   6,0  P    0
   xtord   6,0  P    999999
   xityp   1    A    '0'
   xprnt   1    A    '1'
   xrunt   1    A    '1'
   xfpkg   8,0  P    0
   xtpkg   8,0  P    99999999
   xbslf   1    A    ' '
   xbfcg   8,0  P    0
   xbtcg   8,0  P    99999999
   xfill2  180  A    blanks

I also created a  CL program that calls the previous RPG program and
submits BIL500 to batch. When I run this application the billing takes
place but no invoices are generated. My submit consists of the following:

      SBMJOB     CMD(CALL PGM(BIL500B) PARM(&W0INTR &W7PLST &W7SLST))
JOB(BIL500) +
                JOBD(BPCSUSR/BPCSJOBD) INLLIBL(*JOBD)

Field W0INTR = 'B'

I have called the HelpLine and they don't know why it isn't working. Now
that's reassuring.

John Techmeier
IT Director
The Medalcraft Mint, Inc.