  • Subject: Re: Inventory Transactions - Correct On Hand Balances
  • From: "Chick Doe" <Cdoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:53:42 -0700

version 6.04 bpcs

haven't noticed this one yet. but we have found several things relating to
inventory transactions and the ILI balances. the first was that the opening
balance field can be changed during the month be transactions that are posted
with a prior period posting date. also had a situation where there was a
balance in the ILI and the user tried many different transactions to clear it
out. turns out that the part was coded as a 'non-balance' part. bpcs took the
transactions just fine, it just didn't change the ILI balance, so we ended up
with lots of transactions on the ITH file that look like they did something,
but the didn't.

we have written a program that reads all of the ITH transactions for the
current period, and sums up the transaction qty by part/location, we then
compare this to the MTD issues, receipts, and adjustments balances in the ILI
record to see if what the ILI says is equal to the ITH transactions recorded
for that part location. we run this audit each night. to my delight, the two
generally balance!, but not always! we have had a couple of occasions where the
ILI balance is adjusted by twice the transaction qty. haven't been able to
duplicate the situation yet, but we're trying to capture it. other than that,
it does look like what gets posted to the ITH doe in fact update the ILI by the
same amount. one thing that this did catch was people posting with a future
date that is outside of the prior period. it updates the ILI properly. but the
audit fails because it does not consider the ITH transaction to be in the
current period.

chick doe
barton instrument systems

>>> Dick_Bailey@MCFA.COM 04/15/01 08:34AM >>>

        BPCS 6.1.01 -  Has anyone noticed that some Inventory transfer
transactions post to the receipts total in ILI and IWI and others post to
adjustments?  Our Inventory Transaction effect files are set up to post to
adjustments, but sometimes receipts are posted instead. This might not matter,
except that it has a high correlation with errors in on-hand balances.  (My
favorite subject)

        Dick Bailey
        MCFA

+---