  • Subject: Re: ILQTY vs ILQINS vs ILREV In SIL
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:46:09 EDT

cmassoglia@voyager.net writes:

> My assumption is there has been
>  some type of user error, e.g. session failure without notifying IT, or a
>  program bug.

In my first post I explained the problem with a specific type of BPCS bug &
alluded to how the departmental processing is done that can lead to
inconsistencies in the data.

I have been in the habit of checking contents of JOBLOG area regularly &
DSPLOG to see if there were user failures without notifying IT, or user
failures in which a wrong reply was taken.  I have also added a report
listing all the data areas in which BPCS stores work in process batches so
that I can see which ones have garbage settings indicating an abnormal
termination ... sometimes a crash that is not repaired properly can lead to
another crash the next time the same kind of work is done from the same work
station.  This is especially true for Shipping & Billing & Labor Ticket input.

Some companies can have a systemic problem in how they respond to common
recurring problems.  All too often when there is an abnormal termination, the
data LOOKS OK to the users involved, so they sigh relief & move on with their
work, but unbeknownst to them there is some debris associated with the
problem that is like a time bomb that will cause another abnormal termination
in the future in which the results will not be as pleasant.  Thus IT needs to
know how to locate time bomb debris before it explodes.

Example ... after shipping for the day, the shipping clerk informs accounting
that they are done for the day's shipping, then goes into customer orders to
view what is to be done the next day, but it so happens that one of those
customer orders is involved in two consecutive day's shipments.  The fact
that the shipping clerk is in the customer order means that billing does not
happen correctly on that order.  Depending on the accounting department
understanding of the error messages, the billing might not get done at all on
that order, but then this messes up the next day's activities.  This is a
problem with corporate education, more than user error.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---