  • Subject: Re: field by field security
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 02:26:03 EST

We are on version 405 CD - mixed mode.

You may have to compromise between what you want & what is practical.

This sort of issue should have been decided before your company selected
BPCS, but I recognize that sometimes there is a change in management that
wants stuff from the existing ERP that is contrary to the philosophy of that
ERP.

I agree that there is no field level security on BPCS like there is in some
other ERP packages such as MAPICS, that control who may access certain fields
that you might want to keep confidential.  There is some granularity of
security to control who may run which BPCS programs, get into which
facilities, do what kinds of transactions, etc. but not what you are looking
for.

You can block people from seeing anything in the General Ledger, Costing, and
other modules, narrowing their access to specific programs.

We have some users who can only run a very narrow selection of inquiry
programs.

We use IBM 400 secondary user groups to control who has certain kinds of
security ... a new person needs a certain level - we do not have to figure
out how that was done, we just add them or subtract them from these secondary
user groups.

Such as being able to see the contents of someone else
reports
job logs
copy a query that is not in your library list

I have some suggestions however, that I think are practical so long as the
numbers of programs you want this for are relatively small, and you have
access to BPCS source code or As/Set equivalent, and some way to generate
reports or inquiry off of BPCS data base without being restricted to using
BPCS programs.

We use query/400 heavily where a small group of people create the queries & a
large group of them use them.  To the degree that you can transfer the users
who are not supposed to see cost price data to using queries, or some other
AS/400 tool to access BPCS data, then you can control what they can see by
combination of what goes on the queries that they run, and a naming
convention that ties into BPCS security.

Enforcing this can also be a nightmare.  The people who create queries, and
CL to run the queries ... they have to know who is allowed & who is not
allowed to see cost/price data ... then when management moves users between
the groups, you have to have mechanism to implement such requests without a
big hassle.

It can be done with good naming conventions that tie into SSA Security.

For example, a BPCS program is named ABC123 - 3 letters 3 digits
one of our queries is named ABC#AAAA - 3 letters 1 digit for type of query
(inquiry, report, intermediate file) - then letters related to what it is
doing - with a similar naming convention you might have ABCC____ where the
first letter after the 3 letters is for CONFIDENTIAL contents like cost/price
& so long as your query managers stick to this naming convention, then you
can use standard SSA security to control who has access to the CONFIDENTIAL
queries.

Anything in this software is not a problem when you upgrade BPCS - the only
problem is enforceing your naming convention.

Think 2 versions of some program, say like ORD300 has price details.
ORD3H might have everything that is on ORD300 except price.

Now I have trouble imagining where you would want people looking at customer
requirements & not seeing price, and there is the risk that someone who is
not authorized to see this info is communicating with customer & cannot tell
customer what customer needs to know.  So there will be a lot of programs
where it is obvious that people either have access or they do not, there is
no in between.

The users who you do not want to access price on ORD300 would be security
blocked from running ORD300 but allowed access to ORD3H.
The vanilla menus would be left intact, but the user menus would have ORD300C
& ORD3HC contiguous choices.
For each program that you want to block this info, it will take you a while
to get the modification functional - this is not a trivial task.

Now when there are version upgrades, BMRs etc., you have the challenge of
getting the new code into your ORD3H clone, and every other variant you have
out there.  If you are not careful, this can be a modification maintenance
nightmare.

On INV100 we have had similar challenge.
We do not do our costs in INV100 because CST100 handles that.
We have recently started putting our prices there, after experimenting with
some alternatives.
We have some user fields for our own purposes (literals altered) & certain
people only maintain those user fields.
Purchasing dept maintains what vendor we get raw materials from.
Engineering dept maintains most of the data there.
Some people in some departments see some fields that appear blank in the
items that they are maintaining & they start to populate them with stuff that
is helpful to their departments without consulting people in other
departments, or studying help explanation what those fields are for.

Solution was for certain people placed in charge of certain files - they make
the rules.

> Subj:  field by field security
>  From:    MAndreen1@aol.com
>
>  Good  afternoon,
>
>  We are on version 6.1 --- mixed mode. We have identified some cost/price
>  fields that we require to be blank during inquiries by specific users and
>  also blank on standard, vanilla BPCS printed reports again by specific
users.

>  Also from a maintenance perspective we require limited capability on a
field

>  level basis--- for example: on INV100 we wish to have specific users
> maintain
>  only certain fields but not have maintenance capability throughout the
> entire
>  seven INV100 screens. Two SSA HelpDesk employees as well as our SSA
> technical
>  support expert have advised that there is no field level security within
> BPCS
>  nor any add-on tools that allow field level security support. We do not
wish

>  to modify all the corresponding BPCS programs which utilize these
cost/price

>  fields ---- since we will probably eventually upgrade to future BPCS
>  releases.  However, they did recommend this forum for feedback. Any
>  suggestions would indeed be appreciated.
>
>          have  a  World  Class  day                            Curt

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---