  • Subject: Re: Costing of Inventory Transactions - BPCS 6.1, AS/400
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:11:09 EST

I hope I am not making a nuisance of myself with my 2 cents on stuff that
might not be relevant, but there is a way in 405CD where costing by facility
may have a zero cost entry where there should be a cost.

I can explain RW zero-cost only if different items involved & you not looking
at all transactions, but rather you found some stuff not right & are grasping
at clues.

It can be a timing issue.

Many transactions get their cost from CIC file rather than CMF.

There is a chance that CIC has not yet got populated properly when the first
transactions arrive on some item.

In theory, a CIC record does not get created until there is relevant activity
in some facility on some item.  This can include BOM work, inventory
transactions, but at that point, CIC record exists, but has no cost, so the
first day of transactions on an item facility combination, CIC exists & none
of those transactions are costed.

In theory, CIC is not costed until the first cost roll-up on that item
facility combination copies into CIC the CMF cost before the roll-up ... so
CIC always has the old cost & CMF the most recent.

In theory, what drives CMF cost roll-up choice of items in a facility is the
pre-existance of CIC record.  Thus, new item facility combinations start out
with a CIC that is uncosted, unless we know to do human intervention with I
think it is MRP140.

We avoid this kind of mess by doing the BOM etc. on new item facility
combinations a day or two before the first inventory transactions, and by
doing cost roll ups almost every nite, and by the people involved
communicating ... it is not unusual for MIS to be told "Be sure & do a cost
roll-up on ___ specified facility tonite."

There are a large number of tasks run on a regular basis in which the screen
prompt asks for range by item & by facility & other things.  We who do this
regularly know to do it by facility, because if we leave the facility field
blank, then the logic works differently & messes up our data.  Let us suppose
that we who do it regularly are on vacation - we remind our replacement staff
about such nuances before we go, but let's suppose we off sick sudden-like.
Our replacement staff may not remember some nuances.

I also think it is a bit dangerous to be using same name for facility as for
warehouse.  We have many people using Query/400 & some field names are a bit
ambiguous whether that is facility or warehouse & we can tell from the
context which it is ... you can't when you are using same naming convention.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---