there is another way that the opening balances can get changed (which we just
found out about).for the record we are on v6.04 mixed mode!

when you run INV900 you enter a period close date. this date gets stored
somewhere in the system parameters. we made a mistake and entered this date
wrong. it should have been entered as jan 30 and it was entered as jan 31. when
people stared to make inventory transaction on jan 31 they got a warning
message stating that the transaction date was not greater than the last period
close date. there is a F14 override to this message. if the operator invokes
the override. the inventory transaction does not get posted to the current
month issues, receipts, of adjustments. instead the transaction qty adjusts the
opening balance! i can understand the logic for this, as bpcs does considers
this transaction a prior period transaction. but we were unaware that this was
going. we found it by running a inventory valuation report that takes the
current periods opening balances times the frozen standard cost. you'd like to
think that this extended value would remain unchanged during a month, but that
has not been our experience.

chick doe
barton instrument systems

>>> MacWheel99@aol.com 02/20/01 12:38AM >>>
I think I have found a bug in Inventory Reorg.

The theory is, if Reorg works correctly, ILI is considered to have the most
granular detail & it updates IWI totals to agree with ILI detail, then ditto
to IIM.  We do not have lot control so I have not looked at the role ILN
plays in this.

The bug is, the decision to update IWI or IIM is if there is inventory there.
In other words I have a bunch of items in which ILI has a negative Opening
Balance, while IIM has a zero Opening Balance, and a reorg does not change
this.

How we found this ... there is a report the accounting department runs before
& after cost roll-ups that multiplies the opening balance in IWI against cost
bucket zero of CMF to get a big picture of the changes to our cost of
inventory due to changes in our cost calculation ingredients & this month
when they were looking at the detail of how come we had a huge change, they
saw that the IWI opening balance had changed on a bunch of items.

Opening Balance theoretically should only get changed a few ways.
INV900 recalculates it from On-Hand at EOM & zeros out other MTD fields
"O" from Physical Inventory TAGS plugs in a new value
Reorg in which ILI IWI IIM in disagreement should fix IWI IIM to agree with
ILI

Some damn fool is in DFU or something other than where they supposed to be
changing stuff & makes an OOPS field exit & not notice it ... we use DFU to
fix "record in use" flag after someone was doing an update session & had an
abnormal termination

Well tonite I did a reorg after running a query listing of IIM IWI ILI items
that happened to have an Opening Balance of Negative ... the lists before &
after reorg were identical ... there are a bunch of items where IIM is Ok but
ILI has negative opening balance.  The reorg did not change this.  After the
reorg the items with different Oh Hand Balances in IIM vs. ILI are those
where IIM has zero inventory & ILI has something, which tells me that
whatever triggers IIM update in reorg is using the fact that inventory exists
in IIM rather than the fact that inventory is not the same in IIM as in ILI.

We will be testing this in the nites ahead via a dummy transaction to make
IIM IWI ILI non-zero for an item, then reorg & see if these files are now in
agreement after the reorg.

I checked the archives & did find a related discussion last summer.
Erroneous Opening Balances in ILI
Erroneous Opening Balances in ILI/IWI
ILI and IWI imbalances

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---