  • Subject: Re: AS/SET Repository Installation 6.1.0
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:54:45 EST

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding.
We use various profiles for various purposes.
There is no correlation between the profiles and real people.
It is not like we have a hire to full time do something that in reality is
only needed once in a blue moon.
One real person may use several profiles for different functions.
Several real persons may have occasion to use one specialized profile for a
specialized function, such as configuration of hardware hook up.
The profiles are setup so that they can do that one function & not a heck of
a lot else.
A function is needed.  Several people know about the profile that is used to
do it.

The only everyday tasks we have that require access to security sign-ons are
those related to backup & new personnel at our site.  Security sign-on is
used only long enough to perform those tasks.

The way BPCS 405 CD was written ... there are a lot of things that royally
give the finger to IBM security standards & as much as possible we refrain
from using those things.  For example, I could not get XREF to work right so
I called SSA Help Line ... turns out the only way it will work is by making
100% of our users into master security officers.  I decided I did not want
XREF that badly.  Now thanks to MIDRANGE-L I have the equivalent ... via
query I can find out what all calls some file or program & it is more user
friendly than SSA XREF ever was.

The ONLY time we use the second master security officer sign-on is when we
are loading objects that SSA sent us via upgrades & BMR tapes.

That second master security officer is part of the BPCS user group but not
part of the menu structure.

Usually when someone signs on, it takes them to the BPCS main menu where SSA
security dictates what secondary menus & options they get to work with.

In other words objects loaded from SSA BMR tapes become under the ownership
of the person who loaded them & some need a higher authority than an ordinary
user to do the actual tape to disk.  If these objects need to be accessed by
people who use BPCS, then the person who loads them needs to be within the
same user group where 100% of our BPCS users are setup so that anything they
create belongs to the SSA user group and anything that is in the group they
can access, other security rules providing.

One problem we found with security & how BPCS 405 CD is structured is that
the moment someone in the BPCS user group signs on, it grabs access to some
files, but there are jobs like INV900 that might bomb if there is a conflict
for access to some files that they need dedicated access to.

One scenario ... my boss the CFO is dialing in to his home PC from home to do
end month work.  I am in the office until INV900 is done with the tape drive,
but because it is going to be running for a while, I am in the toilet reading
my computer magazine's latest programming tips, when he phones in to see how
it is doing.  No answer from my office phone so he tries to sign on.  If he
signs on as a normal member of the BPCS user group it could crash INV900, so
I have taught him to sign on as one of the standard IBM Q people & we have
been careful not to entangle any of the standard IBM Q people with BPCS.

If I cannot teach him & other executives that
"If you can sign on to your PC then to 400 from home, then a hacker can
pretend to be you"
then I have a security risk that cannot be closed until a hacker teaches it
to him with possibly catastrophic results
this is one reason I have been telling them all about the Microsoft hack
where a hacker did exactly that, broke into an employee's PC then went from
there to being a trusted computer by Microsoft
but it still has not yet penetrated to my management to realize that if this
could happen to Microsoft it could certainly happen to us
the only difference between M$ & us is M$ is a bigger target

This relates to the topic of whether master security officer should be able
to sign on from any place other than the main console, which is a separate
issue from how many master security officer profiles are prudent.

We have had troubles loading SSA tapes where it says
this tape was created by a person called X on SSA's machine
but our 400 does not have a person called X
so we cannot restore the tape

Simple solution, we take our second master security officer who was created
for the sole purpose of restoring SSA tapes, and rename that person to now be
called X

I do not want to be changing the name QSECOFR

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---