  • Subject: Re: Hung Invoices
  • From: "Devin Bowen" <devinbowen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:37:43 -0800

The answer to both of your questions is yes . . . both can and have been
done many times by many clients.

#1 - I would not recommend writing a program to just update records to the
condition you think they should be in unless it would be called by order and
updates only that order based on the full logic you listed plus a little
more (ecl statuses, for example).  It's pretty dangerous to go "fixing"
records before you're sure the extent of what's wrong because there can be
MANY flavors of "hung" invoices (this makes a program tricky to write).  If
you have enough orders in this state to need a program run every day, you
need to address the causes of this.  This shouldn't be an every day
occurrence.  BPCS invoicing does have its moments, but 99% of your invoices
99% of the time should be processed correctly, if you're on a recent version
with BMRs applied.  My advice on the program question is to get VERY
familiar with

A.  what the proper updates in the billing-related files look like

B.  what various levels of corruption look like and track down the causes

before even considering an automated solution.

#2 You've just listed the criteria for your own report.  You just need to
use a tool (like SQL or a third-party query/report writer) to write it.  BBH
and BBL are the primary files - with ecl, ech, llm, llh, lll, llx, sih and
sil as supporting.

You didn't mention it, but I have seen cases where there are records (both
normal and "funny" looking) in bbh/bbl but records in sih/sil as well
(meaning the invoice was created - just that the billing work file records
were not removed).  This is an example of a case where a far different
solution is necessary (you can simply remove the unneeded bbh/bbl) than to
prepare the records for invoicing.  I've seen people go messing around with
bbh/bbl without the full picture and end up with duplicate invoice records
after all is said and done.

A hammer can be used to cut glass, but it's not very precise.

Hope this helps,

Devin

Devin Bowen
Enterprise Application Solutions (eAS)