In message <26D5B29C2A1D4D115AA50005B8ACB285@tom.b.ireland.com>, Tom
Briscoe <tom.b@ireland.com> writes
>We are on BPCS v4.03 and find we are shortly to run out of order
>numbers (6 digit field HORD on file ECH).    I presume this must be a
>fairly common issue and wonder how have other people overcome
>this ?      Ideally we would want the field to be 8 digits but
>realise this would be a big modification to undertake owing to the
>appearance of the order number on other files and on various screen
>displays and printouts. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Don't even think about changing it. The world is too small to hold that
much pain.

Is the order number famine due to you generating more than 999,999 order
headers since you went live, or has the available range been restricted
by applying part of the range to a coding structure? first digit for
year second for month for example. If so this may have to change if it
doesn't yield sufficient numbers in operational use.

If this is purely due to a long history, you are going to have to purge
the old data and reset the counter. As there are no standard tools in v4
for purging orders you are going to have to do this using data tools or
programs. You will need to do some integrity checks i.e. making sure
there is no outstanding AR, all shipments are expired from ITH, all ELA
records are cleared etc.

--
Michael Ozanne