  • Subject: RE: BPCS 6002===>>6101 UPGRADE
  • From: Marc Chartrand <MarcC@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:49:27 -0500

We did a similar upgrade back in April 1999
 BPCS 6.0.02 Full client/server Mar 98 CUM  ==>   BPCS 6.1

We run a vanilla BPCS installation, all of our extensions are performed
through one of the following mechanism:
 - Database triggers on DB2/400
 - Spool file interception and parsing
 - Green/screen extensions (different set of tables, BPCS tables are left
alone)
 - Pre-processors (we intercept the call to the BPCS program, copy the
required files into temp areas, modify them as needed then call the original
BPCS logic).
 - Post-processors (similar to above but we alter the output after the
original BPCs logic was invoked, or most often, add additional logic to the
process).

 As far as conversion goes:

We did exactly what you suggested and performed the conversion over one
weekend. In addition we use two AS/400 and were upgrading from V4R2 to V4R3.
The testing of the entire system lasted for more than 12 weeks (not full
time) for 3 people. We re-tested everything we were using. This included
Integrating on-going changes that we were doing.

A few things we encountered:

*        Purchasing now validates entries correctly in HAU meaning you have
to maintain proper data in it (Purchasing authority)
*        OF processing has changed so that zero-dollar orders now generate
Debit memo instead of zero dollar invoice. We were parsing spool file
(BIL550O) and had some problems with that.
*        Check spool file format (ACP675O) has changed (new column), if you
parse BPCS spool file this may be important
*        Files corresponding to obsolete products are removed so, if you
used any you are facing a database conversion. Make sure you get the
document from SSA that lists all new / old files.
*        Bug fixes in cost accounting modules are to be verified as they
affect the logic of how costs are rolled up and can create problems in your
CMF file (we can provide details on request)
*       Many ECO bug fixes, some of which altered our processes
*       We made changes in subsystem integration because of new facilities
now available in BPCS 6.1

 Unless you are already using the replacement for the COM module
(green/screen or 2nd generation - if you are full C/S), there is obviously
retraining for order desk and order processing people. The functionality is
roughly equivalent but plan on extra reports and inquiry screens to be
needed depending on your reliance on original COM functionality. We ended up
reconfiguring some of the screens via CUI so that users would see the same
information they had before without scrolling too much.

 We were not using ECM in 6.0.02 but apparently there were some changes that
affected EDI transactions. THere were also problems in the automatic
conversion of ECM files (we could not verify that).

 If you are full client/server and already use CUI (Configurable User
Interface) on the client side, you are facing a serious "exercise left to
the reader" to install the new client on top of the old one and preserve CUI
changes. We redid them and use a package called Installmaster to prepare
"one-click" installation image for end users.I am not clear that you can
have old .vpf file (Visual Preference Files) override the newer VLF (Visual
Layout Files). In fact I believe we tested this and found it did not work.
User container may be preserved if you back them up.

Marc Chartrand
Eicon Technology