  • Subject: RE: Open Shop Order Allocations
  • From: "Hodder, Jason" <Jason.Hodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:53:56 -0600

Dick & Alister,

I think i know what you guys talking about; we had a similar issue here. We
called them "double-up" BOM's, and they were accidentally created. Basically
you have a component appearing in the FMA twice for one shop order, & you
only want it to appear once.

Our problem with FMA stemmed from the MBM file, which had the
improperly-entered "double-up" BOM's.

A query can identify those for you. Once you get your list from the query,
you can send out a robot macro to find and remove one of the doubled-up
components from each parent, and if needed adjust the other one to the
appropriate quantity per.

Dick, i can't help you any with straightening out the actual history in your
FMA file.

Jason Hodder
Industrial Engineer
Sealright Inc

> From: Dick_Bailey@MCFA.COM (Bailey, Dick)

>   Our bill of material structure is complex enough that we often end up
>  with two or more records for the same part number in the FMA file for a
> single shop order.
>
>   Back-flush programs post issues against the first record for each part
>  number, causing some records to be over-issued and some under-issued. The
>  under-issued records show up on the INV300 screens as unsatisfied
> allocations,
>  and appear in the total of manufacturing allocations.  The over-issued
>  allocations are ignored in both cases.
>
>   Various alternative fixes are being considered, including the initial
>  summarizing of FMA records.  Anyone have experience that could help us
> determine
>  a fix?
>
>   We are on BPCS 6.1.
>
>   Dick bailey
>   MCFA, Inc.

We are on BPCS 405 CD

We do have cases where the identical part number shows up more than once at
the same BOM level ... for example 2 wires of identical specifications that
are to be combined in some operation ... we treat this as needing to have
the
BOM say TWO units instead of One Twice, in other words if we had your
situation we would treat it as an engineering over-sight easily fixed in
BOM,
only if we spot it.  If BOM not fixed when Shop Order released, the Order
needs maintenance to eliminate one copy & double up on the requirements for
the other, which is practical only if we spot it before partial production
reported against the order.

Finding them so they can be fixed in advance is the challenge.

We have fields like extra description, which in aggregate are supposed to
fully describe an item.  We run lists sorted by this stuff, looking for
duplicates.  A human being can go blind looking at similar entries to try to

locate duplicates, so a program needs to compare each set of entries
consecutively & help the users see what is truely identical.

We also have duplications where the part is physically identical but has a
different item number, which we address by creating common items based on
their characteristics rather than where they show up on engineering drawings

of customers.

William Macintyre
Computer Data Janitor etc. of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 on 400 model 170 OS4 V4R3
(forerunner to IBM e-Server i-Series 400)  @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central

Industries of Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and
electrical sub-assemblies

+---