  • Subject: Re: RPG SOURCE -( provided or not )
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:15:12 -0500

Hello,

For older BPCS releases, _not_ 6.1.00, you can use the "RPG" command against
_RPG_ source to compile it with the SSA defaults.

In 6.1.00 and going forwards, RPG source is not provided with BMRs, only
AS/SET action diagrams are provided and therefore, AS/SET is required to
either generate the RPG source so you can modify that or you can modify the
programs in AS/SET directly and generate the objects.

But, RPG source itself is not included in BMR explosions for the 6.1.00
release.

There is no confusion at SSA, as this has always been my understanding since
6.1.00 has had this policy about RPG source in BMRs. Sorry if any post I did
in the past was not clear, but I don't remember the post and it is possible
I was responding to a specific question not involving 6.1.00.

I would _not_ have said that an AS/SET action diagram could be converted
into RPG source by using the RPG command against the action diagram. That is
completely incorrect, and even in my earliest days at SSA I would have known
that was not possible. The "RPG" command compiles RPG source by using the
SSAOVR file to get the SSA compiler commands and defaults which will be used
to compile the programs.

In 6.1.00 there are still a few programs which are non AS/SETized programs,
and those _are_ given out as RPG or CL source.

This decision to not provide RPG source was done for several reasons, one of
them being that now in 6.1.01 we can easily get both the objects and action
diagrams to fit in one SAVF which will be a small enough size to load onto
our SSA FTP site, which is our preferred way to deliver fixes. Thus, all BMR
explosions include source and objects, rather than having to provide
customers with 2 separate explosion packages for the same fix, which tended
to get confusing to the end-user.

I am sure this will get posted twice (like everyone else's posts lately)
until someone running the list server figures out what is misconfigured to
cause it to forward each message 2 times.....

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA Global Technologies