  • Subject: Re: multiple issue capability
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 02:03:28 EDT

From Al Macintyre 405 CD

Dave Dixon's error message seems OBVIOUS to me
what the problem must be.
Sorry if insulting tone you hear from me.
My communication skills sometimes lack adequate diplomacy.
and rhyme I cannot either you see.

A "J" transaction consumes components of a more complex part, such as the
famous SSA "pen" of BPCS University ... finished familiar pen is the end
target part composed of the cap & the body ... in turn the cap is composed of
a clip & piece of molded plastic that it goes into, while the body has
several parts also, such as a tube with ink in the center of the pen.

The word "component" means one of the smaller thingies that goes into the
larger assembled part.  Your message talked about "components" for a
"multiple issue transaction." When we manufacture some quantity of larger
assembled part, we use up corresponding "components" of that larger part & in
one "J" transaction, we can "issue" to factory production consumption, all of
those "components" in one "multiple" transaction.  Is there any word that I
am using that you are not familiar with?

For a "J" transaction to work, you need to be doing it on the larger part
that HAS components.  If you try to do a "J" transaction on smaller
components that do not have any components because they are at the bottom of
the product structure tree, then that is a mistake of identification on your
behalf.  In fact, if someone in error tried to do a "J" transaction on the
smallest raw material parts that have no sub-components, they ought to get
some kind of error message & can you figure out logically what that error
message should say?

Exactly what BPCS told you.

> From: DixonD@MEDEVAUS.com (Dixon, Dave)
>
>   Trying to utilize multiple issue capability on BPCS (version 4.05CD)
>  via the default "J" transaction. Receiving an error message within INV500
>  "No eligible components found for multiple issue transaction". Can't
resolve
>  why message is being returned - any experience or ideas as to cause of
>  message?

So now I hope I have established what this error message MEANS to me.

You can easily verify via BOM300 or SFC350 or various other programs what the
status is of any of some part you are trying to do a multi-issue transaction
off of.

Incidentally we do most of our multiple component issues via JIT600 not
INV500 because we want our labor & inventory reporting to remain in
synchronization, and whenever possible avoid redundant data entry.

Is it your contention that you are getting this message for parts that DO
have sub components whose effectivity dates are relevant?  We track all of
our component consumption to shop orders & sometimes there is an issue of the
timing of engineering changes and material substitutions.  Our "J"
transactions have to be valid for the SHOP ORDER that made the sub-assembly.

You need to check INV355 to see what the rules are for your "J" transactions
are since this is something that can be adjusted by individual BPCS customer
client.

When the Shop Order is released saying "Make this on some date" it uses the
BOM effectivity dates that are valid for that due date, as of what is in BOM
when shop order released.  Now in the time after the SO release but before
actual production, the BOM might get updated, the customer due dates changed,
MRP reschedule, stuff happens, so the "eligible components" in the FMA file
of the shop order may no longer be in agreement with the "effective
components" in the MBM master file.

Also, someone can do maintenance to the Shop Order to define exceptions to
the standard rules.  SFC300 will tell you if this is the case.

So I hope now I have clarified the meaning of "eligible components" (eligible
to be used on this particular shop order) & how you can look up stuff on your
data base to determine the truths regarding the parts you are struggling with.

Now what do you mean by "default?"

Our BPCS 405 CD has 37 different valid transaction types, according to INV355
... we added a few, but most came from SSA, and when we select INV500, 34 of
those transactions are valid there.  How many choices do you have?  BPCS
security can be used to limit some users to a range of transaction types
relevant to their perceived duties.

In general when getting BPCS error messages that you cannot fathom "what the
heck does this mean" or some variation on "I should not be getting this
message for this circumstance", MIS can trace them via the text (you gotta
quote exactly & it sure helps to include any code #s in front of the message
if you see any) using SYS Menu option SYS708 - 8 position to text.  Yours did
not match anything in our 495 CD WRKMSGF SSAZ* so I suspect you are not
transcribing it precisely, or someone did a modification, or this is not a
standard SSA literal.

Do you know how to access 2nd level help text on errors as they occur?

SSA does not use 2nd level as heavily as IBM, but often 2nd level has
additional clues beyond what fits on single line at bottom of screen that is
enough for victim of error message light to dawn what the problem really is.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©

Y2K is not the end of my universe, but a re-boot of that old Chinese curse.
The road to success is always under construction.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue.
Murphy's Mom brought wrong baby home from hospital so it should be Kelly's
Law.
When in doubt, read the documentation, assuming you can find it.
+---