from Al Macintyre 405 CD

When we do engineering changes, we create an EC ##### into our BOM so that
anyone looking at list of components also sees which engineering changes
applie to it ... explanatory notes get attached here.

It probably would be simpler to delete stuff, but you might have old
inventory that needs to be rebranded, and you may have old reports that
people sometimes refer to.

We have variations of this when dealing with repair parts.

Make a copy of A as A-Old & B as B-Old that has the reality at the time of
discontinuation of old rules.  Al references to B in A-Old become B-Old & all
references to A in B-Old become A-Old.  You now have BOM that is workable to
use on any old data in your system, assuming it can be rebranded.

Your current A now calls for B-old for the old dates.
Your current B now calls for A for the new dates.
& normal current processing of B will not do anything with A-Old because of
the discontinue dates.

Have I totally confused you?

Think A-Old & B-Old for the reality of before the date changes
with A & B being the item #s used after the date changes.

Any place you have pointers to A or B with date range now discontinued,
change them to A-Old & B-Old with that date range, and delete the old
connection to A & B.

You could also leave A & B alone, and have A-new & B-new since I assume your
part #s are not really A & B.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies

>  From:    brobins3d@yahoo.com (Bill)

>  4.0.5 CD on an AS/400.
>
>  We have a situation where Product A's BOM has Product B as a co-product.
>  Since we sell a lot more of A then we we sell of B, we want to take out B
>  from A's BOM.  Simple enough using a discontinue date.
>
>  But, we want A to be a co-product of B's BOM now.  This is done due to the
>  way we slice the WIP product.  BOM500 tells us that we can't add A to B
>  because it would be a circular reference.  This is correct -if- the
>  discontinue and effective dates were not correctly specified.  I know what
>  BOM500 is doing, it's just checking for item references without regard to
>  effectivity dates.  So, my question is this: What would be the best way to
>  handle this situation?
>
>  1.  Force A into B's BOM either through DFU, or temporarily bypassing the
>  looping logic.
>  2.  Put code into the program that will take dates into consideration.
>  3.  Delete the discontinued co-product rather than in-effective it.
>  4.  Something else.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Bill

+---