  • Subject: Re: the ASSET issue again
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:09:23 EDT

I suspect that ASSET on BPCS_L can be like PERFORMANCE on Midrange_L.

There are people blinded by mind made up on what we ought to have access to &
why things go wrong & ultimately isn't it our responsibility to make it right?

Some statements are doomed to provoke a debate that changes nothing.

> >>Now What programs use the ECH file again?<<
>
>  I am not sure what you meant here, but I hope you are not proposing that
we
> get rid of ECH (order header) file.

I did not make the remark, but there is a problem, at least for companies
that are trying to function on native AS/400 tools & minimal access to BPCS
source code, in getting XREF to work without sacrificing security.

It is not a problem with ASSET but a general frustration with ability to get
at information with the tools we have available.  In our case we have RPG
etc. source code from As/Set but not able to get management approval for us
to have As/Set or TaaTools or Robot or various 3rd party BPCS add-ons ... I
have recently added Lansa to my wish list ... or enough hard disk for all of
IBM On Line Help.

Recently I have been experimenting with DSPOBJD & other IBM to *OUTFILE then
Query against there ... obviously AS/400 has many powerful tools, but which
one will get us to info we want?

I had troubles working XREF & called SSA tech support & learned that the only
way XREF would work was to sign on as the SSA user group & to make the group
Master Security Officer with *ALLOBJ authority ... well I did not want to go
down that road of consequences of making everyone in the BPCS group that
authority.

But then with the absense of such a tool, I can use GO CMDREF to find
everything that some program uses, but how opposite direction, if I wanted to
know what all programs update some file ... we get files messed up ... we do
not know if human error, or bug, or some failure of how we use BPCS ... where
to look.

We have cost master records with impossible data ... like negative 0.00002 in
previous level cost that should be zero.  We locate all of them & zero them
out & they keep coming back ... sometimes same item, sometimes item that did
not have that before.  I speculate that this program or that program might be
doing it, copy to simulated area before an update run, no it did not happen
that time, which is not to say that program might be doing it on some other
update run.

We have phantom cost records that I need to write a program, or do an SQL to
purge.  How did they get into our system & what damage are they doing?

We have actual costs that do not "add up."

CMF + CIC both will have to be in whatever fix I dream up for garbage cost
records - I also hae some on items whose IIM is no longer active.

We have notes pointing at order or other entity that no longer exist.

We have completed orders (various kinds) that do not "go away" when
completed.  I specifically asked SSA tech support about some of this &
learned that SYS800 to the contrary, there is no BPCS 405 CD program to purge
Customer Orders or History after the time period we set that we want to keep
them.

Accounting had a General Ledger problem & while I was working on it I found a
ton of Journal Batches that did not get posted when the fiscal period was
live.  I am not an expert on all applications & I wondered, don't they have
some report that shows all batches open when fiscal active - are they using
it properly - is it not working properly.

When there is a conflict on accessing some file, I have given up on teaching
my end users how to use GO CMDLCK & now pinning my hopes on approval for
installing the shareware http://www.precosis.com.au/rv1.htm

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---