  • Subject: Re: the ASSET issue again
  • From: gmihajlo@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 02:32:15 -0500

Hi ... (sorry didn't see your name in the latest reply),

I usually don't like to enter discussions like this, but your logic used to
justify why you dislike AS/SET requires it.

Saying that 'Who cares wht the Action diagram looks like, it can be perfect and
AS/SET will still generate bloated and unreadble RPG' is, as per my opinion,
very comparable to the following logic:

>>>I don't care what the RPG (or C, or Visual Basic, or any other high level
language) looks like, it can be perfect, but it still generates bloated and
unreadable MI (Machine Instructions, i.e. something like assembler for AS/400)
code.<<<

Yes, if you have dealt only with assembler programming language in the past (but
you've seen more than enough of RPG (or C, or COBOL, or VB, or...) code to feel
confident to comment on it...) and you get code in assembler, with comments
inserted so that for each group of assembler instructions you also can see the
original RPG (or C, or COBOL, or VB...) instruction this group of MI
anstructions was generated from (just because you chose such generation/compile
option), of course that you won't like 'annoying' comments and in addition all
that extranious and non-efficient MI/assembler code generated from RPG (or
C,...) code, which an assembler guru would write much more efficient directly in
assembler. For the same reason, I can understand you wouldn't like to trade
analyzing such 'bloated and unreadable' assembler code with analysis of RPG (or
C,...) code directly, but try to explain that to programmers who have started
programming with assembler and have accepted to learn RPG (or C,...) to the
level that they do not need to look into assembler code anymore when analyzing
the code! Let alone those programmers who have never had the honour of learning
assembler....

I am sure that Genyphyr was not trying to say that ADK and AS/SET are perfect
and that RPG code generated from AS/SET is ideal and optimal and does not have
space for any improvement (neither was I), but only that if you haven't tried to
work with AS/SET (but seriously, in the meaning to learn AS/SET language and its
features and advantages, first, then gain some experience with it and then
judge), you cannot really expect that you are objective in comparing it with
RPG, or whatever else. Somebody on the list said that they would like to hear
more opinions from those who used both languages in question here and we
replied, honestly as programmers - not customer relationship representatives,
which still does not mean that we are right, but if I were a user asking a
question about efficiency of coding in AS/SET or RPG, I too would really like to
hear opinion of those who really used both languages.

And if AS/SET is such a poor, flawed tool, how comes that it had generated such
a reasonably well (if not more) performing version of BPCS? If I still had seen
here a lot of complains about the performance with V6.1.01, I would have thought
you had a case, but if with all that useless and not efficient code, latest
version of BPCS looks pretty good, then I would tend to vote for the other
candidate :-)
(please, again,  don't take this as my claim that there are no empty subroutines
or other things left in this version, but we can talk again after next BPCS
release and yes, it WILL be developed in AS/SET).

Regards,
Goran

"L. S. Russell" <leslier@datrek.com> on 09/19/2000 02:19:54 PM

Please respond to BPCS-L@midrange.com