You can cut and paste in AS/Set as needed.

                    MacWheel99@aol.

                    com                    To:     BPCS-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:               cc:

                    owner-bpcs-l@mi        Subject:     Re: the ASSET issue
again
                    drange.com

                    09/19/2000

                    02:30 PM

                    Please respond

                    to BPCS-L

Can't you do the same thing with AS/Set?
When you write in AS/Set do you have to start from scratch each time?

BPCS has a pair of programs SFC230 SFC231 in which one gathers up the data
&
the second pretty prints it except our end users did not like the report
form, so I copied the whole thing into our SFC23CUT for our wire cutting
department which grouped the data based on characteristics of the wire,
stored in item master description and operation description, in which the
intermediate work file ended up being replaced with my modified clone.
Then
they wanted some adjustments of the actual sequencing, so I added another
logical to use the same data in another sequence, and I slightly adjusted
the
report appearance, which became the SFCUTERM version, and now we are headed

towards yet another variant.

80% of the source code in SFC23CUT came from SSA.
95% of the source code in SFCUTERM version came from SFC23CUT.

I have programs with subroutines copied from other SSA programs ... it
performs a standard function ... I do not need to re-write that code.

But don't you do the same thing in As/Set?
You have a new requirement, find something structurally similar accessing
much of the same files, copy the similar thing & rename it to your new deal

... what's missing ... find pieces of other software that does what you
want
& then piece it together.

Al Macintyre

>  From:    leslier@datrek.com (L. S. Russell)
>
>  Al Macintyre wrote
>  > If you have AS/Set & have learned how to use this tool, then you the
>  > programmer can produce good programming work
>  > in much less time than it takes you when writing in RPG,
>  > and in fact a mediocre programmer using AS/Set can
>  > be a more productive employee than a very proficient RPG programmer
>  > writing in RPG.
>
>  Al, come on?  Sure an RPG'er starting from scratch each and every time
>  will be much slower than a mediocre AS/SET programmer, but how many
>  RPG'ers start each and every project from the begining?  We all have
>  /COPY books and service programs that we use to speed up the development
>  process (in fact I'll bet that is all AS/SET is doing is replacing
>  AS/SET statements with RPG code from a code database).
>
>  You are comparing apples to oranges give the average RPG'er some
>  credit.

+---