Otto Hason writes:

>  Hi all,
>  we need to use alternative items in BOM -
>  e.g. there are 2 almost the same bearings, each of them can be used in
> product on the same position,
>  and we use that one, which is on the stock.
>
>  Our BOM is authorized by customer, we can maintain list of material in
> SFC500, and then we could see in history, what was issued.
>
>  I don't like very much idea of using material methods in BOM,
>  now we have only one BOM per product.
>  Our BOM is rather complicated - up to 8 level.
>
>  Any ideas?
>
>  TIA
>       oTTo

From Al Macintyre 405 CD

I do not know how to measure complexity ... some of our wiring harnesses have
like 100 wires & some of the wires are hundreds of feet long.  I think of
complexity as being how they cope with all those pieces such that quality
control can verify correctly made at many points in the process, and how they
label work in process so that the correct ingredients will be used, when
there are so many that look so similar.

Our BOM is also authorized by customer although they rely heavily on our
engineering know how for best way to make parts.  We have engineering changes
initiated by customers & by our suggestions accepted by customers.  This has
permanent change on how part is made.  We have termporary changes approved by
customer in which official BOM remains intact but SFC540 handles material
substitutions before the work is done that other way.

This is usually due to shortages of approved material, but some other,
usually more expensive material has the same electrical properties, e.g Tin
alloy instead of Copper alloy, will be substituted until the shortage is
resolved ... even though this is more expensive, the increase in price
sometimes is less than what it would cost us to expedite replacement of the
correct material, especially when its vendor also has a capacity or supply
line problem.

There is also repairs.  Perhaps a customer had an engineering change & they
want us to rework an older version into the new version.  There are several
ways we have handled this.  We have used material methods on this, but most
often we use the identical part number with letter "R" on the end, which
everyone in company recognizes as "REPAIR REWORK" scenario requiring slightly
different operations.

We heavily use copper wiring which comes on spools & out of barrels in which
the direction of how the wire is "wound" makes a difference going into a
machine & some machines have to have it "wound" a particular way ... we can
have plenty of the material except it is "wound" the wrong way for a
particular machine.  So we have an operation to "rewind" the spool
(fortunately there is a machine to do this since we talking like 100,000 feet
of wire on a spool) & at this point we "switch" item numbers from the one for
"wound this way" to the ond for "wound that way."  Now the part is identical
& it makes no difference to the BOM, but it does make a difference to which
machines will accept which spools.  We have the same scenario with what we
call "terminals" which are the little connectors that go on the ends of wires
- spools have to be "wound" a particular way to go through these machines &
"wound" opposite way to go through those machines.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---