  • Subject: Re: BPCS support alternatives - we are NOT 'getting rid' of AS/SET for next release
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:52:28 -0500

Hello,

I can safely say that SSA R&D, has absolutely no plans to get rid of AS/SET
in version 8.0 BPCS. In the users group, when the person spoke about
'getting rid of AS/SET' they first of all did not say  'we are going to get
rid of AS/SET in the next release'. Whomever reported that to this list was
either mis-understanding or mis-representing what the speaker said. What
they spoke of was in regards to distant future releases, and the point was
that there is a possibility in future that some other tool would replace
AS/SET. So, this was a statement about potential future
direction/investigations which at this point have not been completed. There
simply is not enough time to start using some other tool and still get the
next release out in time, so everyone can stop worrying ( or in some cases
celebrating ) about this.

BTW, actually, BPCS IS written in AS/SET (not RPG as someone mentioned). The
people who do the coding write it in AS/SET, which is a CASE tool. The
generator generates either RPG (for AS/400) or C (for Unix), which is why
you won't see us going back to native RPG - we do support more than 1
platform and this allows a common repository (the AS/SET code) to generate
code wherever we need it. BPCS runs in RPG and C on the AS/400 (the runtime
and some modules such as ECM are written in C) and runs in C on Unix. If you
are used to debugging native RPG only, and not AS/SET, likely it will seem
strange to debug the generated RPG at first, but you get used to it after
awhile.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA