  • Subject: Re: the ASSET issue again
  • From: Jeff Holzman <Holzman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:51:18 -0400

Are you saying that:

(1) A good RPG programmer can do in 15 lines of RPG what an AS/SET
programmer does in 100 lines of AS/SET code?

i.e., even ignoring the performance considerations, are you saying that
developing applications with AS/SET takes about 6 to 7 times more work
 than coding the same functionality in RPG.

Or, are you saying that

(2) A good RPG programmer can do in 15 lines of RPG, what a program
written with AS/SET would generate 100 lines of RPG for.

If this is the case, how many lines of AS/SET would the programmer
need to write to get the same functionality as the 15 lines of RPG.

i.e., is there ignoring the performance of the RPG code generated by
AS/SET,
is there a productivity benefit in development and maintenance
using AS/SET compared to RPG.  If so how big of a benefit, and in what
areas are AS/SET's strengths and weaknesses?

"L. S. Russell" wrote:

> Whoa!
>
> A poorly written RPG program will run just as fast as one developed with
> AS/SET.  But a well written RPG program can run circles around anything
> generated by a case tool.  Anyone who writes RPG will become ill at the
> site of RPG generated by AS/SET.
>
> AS/SET does things repeatedly for no earthly reason; loops calling
> SUBR's which contain no more code than BEGSR and ENDSR, endlessly
> initializing arrays whose values are never changed, ... the list goes on
> and on.
>
> AS/SET code is bloated and ugly, a good RPG programmer can do in 15
> lines what a good AS/SET program takes 100 or so lines to do.
>
> P. S.  I have never seen an AS/SET generated subfile program.
>
> "Lacelle, Marc" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ho.
> >
> >         I for one use ASSET/ADK as a development tool and find it quite
> > useful. I am not an RPG or RPG-ILE programmer and never intend on being one.
> > ASSET/ADK offers is a simple alternative to RPG. You almost can do
> > everything with this tool. Yes, RPG is more powerful but,  a program written
> > using ASSET will take the same amount of time to run as a program written in
> > RPG. The code generated from a program using Asset will be much smaller than
> > a program written using RPG, it will take me a few days to come up with a
> > complex ASSET/ADK program where it may take a week or more using RPG.
> >
> >         If the execution time for a program is the same and the length in
> > time to write the code using ASSET is lesser than RPG. Why knock the
> > product.
> >
> >         You are correct in the saying that the source provided by SSA for
> > BPCS is pretty bad. We call it spaghetti language over here, but lets not
> > forget SSA are in the business of making money. If they had two line source
> > for every program they had, we would not need them.
> >
> >         PS: It think the people who dislike ASSET are RPG programmers.
> >
> >         Marc Lacelle
> >         Royal Canadian Mint

+---