I'm not a fan of AS/SET all all either but I do believe in these kind of
coding tools if they work properly.  Here's a recent example.  We ran a
BPCS AS/SET generated program and after 6 hours we found it in a loop.
Yes, there was a BMR for this that we failed to look for.  There are
thousands that you don't know you need until your program bombs.  Anyway,
due to a time constraint, we wrote the same pgm in Native RPG and it ran
successfully in 45 minutes.  I vote AS/SET out for anyone who cares.
Thanks

                    "Chick Doe"

                    <Cdoe@barton-instru        To:     <BPCS-L@midrange.com>

                    ments.com>                 cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     the ASSET issue
again
                    owner-bpcs-l@midran

                    ge.com

                    09/16/00 02:32 PM

                    Please respond to

                    BPCS-L

there's been a lot said in the last couple of days about SSA and AS/SET.
while i am not a fan of it, i can understand the logic of writing code in
AS/SET that could then be compiled and run on multiple environments. yes
you will sacrifice performance, but if the intent was to provide improved
functionality at less cost, then i can understand the logic. whether this
was ever delivered or not is another question.

but what drives me absolutely insane is SSA's practice of commenting out
lines in both the AS/SET source and in the resulting RPG source. much o the
complexity in trying to read these damn programs is just trying to decipher
which lines are still executable statements and which are now comments. my
guess is that well over half of all statements in their programs are old
lines of code that are now comments. TAKE THEM OUT AND GIVE US SOURCE
PROGRAMS THAT CAN BE READ!

chick doe
barton instrument systems

+---