  • Subject: Re: BPCS support alternatives
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:58:20 EDT

> From: ED_DAY@csiltd.co.uk
>
>  Al,
>       BPCS is written in RPG not ASSET, ASSET is a CASE tool used to
>  generate RPG! I would think that if SSA return to the days of non-ASSET
>  generated code, they will see an huge improvement in performance!

Ed

There are people who argued with me when I called As/Set a CASE tool.
They said it is LIKE a CASE tool, for someone who has never experienced the
real thing.

I now understand that what BPCS & many ERP call PDM is LIKE Computer
Engineering, but it is nothting like the REAL thing which you can study about
at sites like http://www.pdmic.com/IPDMUG/index.html

As far as we AS/400 users are concerned, what As/Set DELIVERS to us is RPG,
but is that also the case for the BPCS users on Unix & NT versions of BPCS?

The main problem with performance, as I understand it ... SSA wants to write
one set of code & run it through some tool like As/Set & have the result WORK
on As/400, Unix, NT, and whatever OTHER platform comes along that they can
market BPCS to.  Performance considerations are secondary.

I believe there is a solution to this, without SSA having to increase
programming staff to provide different service to the different platforms.
If you saw the latest Midrange Systems magazine (Sep 4 Vol 13 #12) there is a
column page 38 on IBM marketing painting a bulls eye on Oracle false claims
that they're superior to UDB, but he says for IBM to win, they need to
integrate UDB marketing with a set of tools useable on any platform.  This is
not just IBM platforms.

It is pretty amazing to me that DB/2 is delivered on more platforms than any
other vendor and beat Microsoft's SQL server to Windows 2000 data base
certification.

Did you know that business rules can be placed IN THE DATA BASE without
programs to enforce that?  So for example, there could be a business rule
that the cost, this level or previous level of CMF file is NEVER to be
negative (we always have several that are negative & I suspect some bug or
incomplete record that I have yet to track down).  How this works is that ANY
program ANY user ANY bug that TRIES to put a negative into a cost is stopped
... and error message at the DATA BASE level ... the FILE will not let any
action violate the business rule.

Now if ERP complex rules can be put in the DATA BASE instead of in the
programs, then ERP vendors can deliver their software package to EVERY
PLATFORM for which IBM has delivered their data base capabilities.  For more
info on what is possible in a package that takes business rules to the utmost
... check out http://www.erros.co.uk/

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---