  • Subject: Re: Required fields
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 01:50:54 EDT

We are BPCS 405 CD Mixed Mode OS/400 V4R3

A quick & dirty approach might be
1. Change the BPCS Literals so that the field on the screen has a pretty
dires statement of mandatory input nature.
2. Do A/P entry work using a BPCS User Menu, rather than the vanilla Menus &
insert a step to run a report listing any data that is incomplete with
respect to this field & have your user instructions such that they supposed
to fix this from the report before continuing to later step.

In the AS/400 reality, all the fields on all the screens are "labeled" with a
text explanation from a message member SSAZ something ... you can go into the
message member & edit the text to substitute your own labels.  Some thought
needs to be given how to handle upgrades & BMRs which tend to reinstate the
vanilla values.  We now have a CL with all our substitutions by merging from
a dummy message member of our changes.  This opened up for us a world of
extra fields not needed by our BPCS tailoring options, that we then renamed
so they were meaningful for our other purposes.

To do it right, you either need AS/Set or the source code for at least the
interactive screen so you can tweak that field & make it mandatory input, but
that won't get you data that is neccessarily correct.

> We are on BPCS 6.0.04 Full Client / Server in a HP / UNIX environment.
>
>  Is there any way to make a field in A/P Invoice Entry a required field?  We
>  are interested in using the Reference field to analyze some purchases being
>  made, but the information does not reside in BPCS.  The A/P Coordinator
>  needs to enter the information as he/she keys the invoice, but, without the
>  system requiring an entry in that field, we run the risk of less than 100%
>  compliance.  We don't need it to be validated against anything; we just
need
>  to have an entry in that field.  If for some reason a purchase does not
have
>  this type of information available, the Coordinator will probably enter a 0
>  or some other character that will indicate it is not applicable.
>
>  If anyone has any information on whether this is possible, I would
>  appreciate your comments.
>
>  Thank you!
>  Jenni Pfantz
>  jjpfantz@lozier.com
>  (402)    457-3186

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---