I posted this when the midrange.com ISP was apparently down & got no response
so I reposting it just in case Y"all did not see it ... I am now assured the
ISP is back up again.

From:   MacWheel99@aol.com (Al Macintyre)

We are 405 CD AS/400 V4R3 mixed mode.

Human errors without proper edit checking sometimes leads to zero price that
should be standard price (e.g. someone field exited through field in error.),
or shipping reported wrong quantity going out, and this is not caught until
after BIL500 invoices are printed.

Accounting gets correct info from customer service, then bills customer for
missing $ receivables via BIL600 ... they claim there is no way they can
attribute this to specific customer item & it has no effect on fixing
inventory (if wrong quantity) or sales history.

If the error was price accidentally missing from customer order, then
shipping action got inventory Ok, but overall billing history by item still
shows understated pricing.

If the error was shipping documents out of sync with reality going out the
door, we also have to make an inventory adjustment & history of shipping
still shows the bad stuff.

It is almost like we need a shipping adjustment process that generates
corrected billing to hit all the same files so the aggregate data evens out
plus has a good audit trail from any perspective, except unless the error is
that we actually shipped the wrong stuff, these shipping documents are not
accompanied by actual shipments.

We can enter negatives to factory orders to make corrections for prior
mispostings, can we also do likewise in the customer order shipping?

I told my co-workers that if they were to use an RMA, or dummy customer order
structure, then bill adj off  that, the process will fix history, invoice,
accounting, the works, all will be in sync & if we had auditors who knew what
the **** censored **** we are really doing, then they would also be happy.

My co-workers say an RMA is for customer physically returning some defective
parts for which they need a credit, and whose repair QC needs to monitor.  It
is not for fixing errors in our computerized paperwork.  It also seems to me
that Customer Service does not have the staff to be doing dummy orders to
correct other department errors.

My next proposal is to list BBL after shipping but before Billing & if any
BNET (Bill Price) is zero, plug in the list price instead (initially via
DFU), unless someone has notified us in advance of some legitimate exception
... ie. do not modify the billing program to install default price because of
occasional legitimate exceptions.  It also occurs to me that resupply orders
to a dummy warehouse just for customer exceptions might work, since we are
using them to handle zero profit (on each other facilities) intra company,
but at the moment what we are doing with resupply orders is in my dog house -
I want it fixed before expansion.

Please tell me other BPCS users have tackled this before & see no adverse
consequences of my proposal.

What triggered this interest at this time ... I created a new query over SSD
file with sales dollars last month 01 divided by quantity shipped equals
average billing price.  I compared this to list price & printed differences.
Many co-workers unhappy to see high volume of zero price shipments.
Accounting says "Oh we saw that soon after it happened, and we fixed our
receivables."  But there is unhappiness that corrections are not getting into
sales history by item.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
Green Screen BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 running on AS/400 V4R3
+---