  • Subject: Re: Working with WSData
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:30:26 EDT

There are several ways to setup client access so that users will consistently
get the same work station address when they sign on, rather than the
QPDAV0000# protocol which not only results in an inconsistency of session id
from connection to connection for the inconvenience of anyone who created a
batch but did not complete its work in the same sign on session, but also
results in multiple users having the same identical BPCS work station areas
leading to my keystrokes messing up your screen cursor choices, and some
other person's keystrokes messing up your data entry at the same time as you
trying to update fix it, and very difficult for a 3rd party to diagnose what
is causing you all these problems.

It does not matter if your LAN is Microsoft, or Novell, or IBM, or Linux ....
every single one of them has ways to accomplish this, but each type of LAN is
different ... you need to talk with experts in the particular protocol you
are using, to learn how to accomplish this.

Check out MIDRANGE DOT COM archives since there have been several posts
spelling out exactly what you have to do to fix your config in the more
common LAN choices, so that it will work as BPCS intended for it to work.

If you decide instead to do a modification to substitute user-id for ws-id in
the identification of BPCS work areas, remember that any user-id name over 8
characters in length will experience the same kind of problem ... you can
check your DOC SSA LOGIC document for a chart of the naming conventions.

There are a relatively small number of SYS routines to grab the information
needed to populate work station areas, although I have seen RTV within the
body of CL ... I do not know if that is modification work outside BPCS
standards.  You might ask SSA help for a rule of thumb on this one.

>  From:    dbullard@dicksonsgifts.com (David Bullard)
>
>  Is there a way to override the BPCS workstation data with information from
>  user profile.  We are using IBM client access over our LAN to connect to
our
>  AS/400.  Each time our users signon they get a different device for their
>  session.  This is a problem because we have different areas of our plant
>  printing to specific printers and our devices are not consistently being
>  assigned to the same machines.
>
>  Can anyone help?
>
>  Thanks,
>  David Bullard
>  Dicksons Inc.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---