  • Subject: Re: INV100 (ADD, CHANGE, DELETE) FROM GUI client
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:46:52 EDT

>  From:    oludare@ix.netcom.com (oludare)
>
>  Hi guys,
>
>  I'm currently working on a project to move INV100 (Add, Change & Delete)
> functions to a PC application call MATRIX.
>  My questions are:
>
>  1.    Is anyone on this list familiar with MATRIX

I am not

>  2.    What validations are done in INV100 during add, change and delete.

What validations SHOULD it be doing?  You want to replicate what BPCS does &
perhaps add a few of your own.

Should security be such that you might allow some people to change some
fields but not be deleting the whole record?

When there is data in other files on the item you propose to delete, we want
warning messages to user saying you should not be deleting this item, that
have great clarity in pointing user to what customer order, which inventory
file, which cost file etc. has activity on this item.  We are on BPCS 405 CD
in which I have had to add some reports to help our engineering department
identify the records involved that vanilla BPCS does a poor job of
identifying.

BPCS currently checks a lot of files that contains item number BUT NOT ALL
FILES ... for some this is not neccessarily bad ... for example when we do a
history purge, it also gets rid of records on item numbers that have been
deleted, but not all history files come with a BPCS purge ... they accumulate
to infinity, so it is worth a review of what needs to be purged or
reorganized that gets rid of item#s that now no longer exist

If you have added any files to the package (we have ... mainly extra
logicals) do they have item numbers that need removal as a pre-requisite to
taking item number out of service

If someone tries to add an item number that already exists as coded for
deletion but not yet purged, then you may have a corporate policy about not
re-using an item number for a different purpose for some time period ... they
can reactivate, they cannot replace.  I also recently added a report listing
open item #s in various ranges, to simplify the process of inventing &
inserting new numbers.

>  3.    What products are out there that I can use for validation and
> have the messages sent back to MATRIX.

>  4.    What BPCS files are involved in this process.

Item Master for starters ... GO CMDREF & run the IBM reference list.

>  5.    Are there any other issues that I have left out.

Before taking an item number out of service, we change its class code to
OBSOLETE which means that it is a candidate for removal   Various people use
lists of obsolete items to sell off obsolete inventory, and clean up any
orders processing them ... in some cases the real material is not obsolete,
it has changed its item number to that of a COMMON, in which one of the
description fields points at the replacement number, so our clean up involves
replacing item # where the old one is in the system, and of course not
selling off obsolete inventory whose reason for being an obsolete number is
that it got replaced by a common item #.

At one time we had an issue of voluminous item #s, BOM, routings on customer
parts for which we get orders infrequently.  There was an interest in
migrating the data off-line until needed again, but not reusing the item#s.
That interest is currently dead, but we still have the interest in more
easily identifying candidates for goodbye item#s.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
+---