Good morning:

    Over the years I have worked with over 20 manufacturing plant accountants
in over 12 companies, and not a single accountant utilized the variance
report outputted from CST270. So I asked a SSA help line friend "what
percentage of BPCS clients used an unmodified, vanilla CST270"? His response
was that his rough estimate was 15 percent. However, he also explained that
to generate a single widely accepted cost variance report was indeed a
challenging assignment.

The most effective user created variance reports are generated by companies
that maintain dual bills of material and dual routings (one for the planning
department and a second a standard for the cost department) in their live
production environment.

Otto's comment on the WIP output from CST270 was indeed impressive. I always
encourage (especially with the flexibility and the complexity of CEA) to each
company to have a game plan for subsystem reconciliation to their general
ledger.
At the end of the first month of a CEA implementation --- how many companies
have their raw material, their WIP, and finished goods stock status inventory
dollar value match their corresponding general ledger control account? These
reconciliations would also reduce Al's understandable concerns on financial
period end cutoffs.

            have  a  good  day                               Curt

When CST900 is run it updates the CMF, IIM and CIC files with the actual
costs (based on last cost, weighted average or JIT weighted average) and
produces 2 reports firstly CST270 Shop Order Cost Variance and WIP Report
(CST270) for all shop orders and secondly a list SFC900 of all shop orders
that have been physically deleted.  You need to determine how your
organisation is calculating and reporting manufacturing variances, finance
may need CST900 to be run at month end and manually post these variances
based on CST270 report (although this report is an ugly one and difficult to
work with if you have many shop orders and/or large boms/routes - you
probably will find that finance get some "friendlier reports" to base
variances on that may not be dependant on CST900!).  CST900 can be run as
part of the period close or it can be performed as often as necessary to
clear closed shop orders from your files and to keep your actual cost
buckets current.

Hope this helps
Rgds
John