  • Subject: Re: OVRMSGF & Literal BPCS
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:57:28 -0500

Hi,

SSAZ01 is provided for user-modified messages (give them the same message ID
as the BPCS message that you want to alter, and leave the base BPCS message
alone). It is delivered empty for that very reason. Not sure about BPCS CD,
but generally in the SYS code I have viewed, an override to SSAZ01 is
performed in each BPCS job, so that SSAZ01 is searched first for a given
message, thus allowing user modified messages to be chosen first to populate
a screen panel or end-user message. In this way, moving SSAZ01 along from
release upgrade to release upgrade, your modifications remain intact, and no
manual tracking is required. Entire contents of SSAZ01 will represent all
your modifications .

The help text on the command answers most of your questions about what the
command does:

                  Override Message File - Help

The Override with Message File (OVRMSGF) command overrides a message
file used in a program.  The overriding message file is used
(specified in the TOMSGF parameter) whenever a message is sent or
retrieved and the overridden message file is specified.

The overriding message file need not contain all the messages that
the overridden file contains.  When a message is received or
retrieved and the message identifier cannot be found in the
overriding message file, the overridden message file is searched for
the identifier.  Overriding message files can be overridden,
resulting in a chain of overrides.  This chain of overrides provides
a list of message files that are searched when a message is received
or retrieved.  Up to 30 message file overrides can be specified in a
program. . . . .

. . . . .

 More information on overriding files is in the Data Management book,
 SC41-5710, the Application Display Programming book, SC41-5715, and
 the Printer Device Programming book, SC41-5713.