  • Subject: Re: Running program on a different JOBQ
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 14:35:22 EDT

From Al Macintyre 405 CD V4R3

Jesus

This sort of question is a recurring issue for us also.

We would like some departments, such as shipping, to have their own separate
JOBQ, because their jobs generally run lightning fast, except when sitting
behind a 10 minute job waiting on the Q.
We want jobs, that we know will not take a long time, to have JOBQ-KWIK ,,,
so that it will have lots of little quick & fast jobs there.
We want jobs, that we know will take forever, to have JOBQ-LONG ... so that
it will have a few jobs sitting there that each will take many minutes to
execute.
I think I need queries to run in their own separate resources.

I am aware of several high level ways to tackle this.

1. Teach people how to do the pop-up menu option 1 & make sure they know
which JOBQ is for what purpose & trust the users to manage this stuff wisely
... some of our users understand this notion ... most do not.

2. Modify specific CL programs to override whatever the defaults are & do
stuff irrespective of what the rest of the software rules are ... we have
done this primarily for special reports to be on hold after printing, to send
certain reports to certain printers irrespective of work station settings, to
send MSG some place based on fact that some job is run or was run with what
settings.

You could go in & modify every CST program for this purpose, but I do not
consider that to be an elegant solution or a good precedent for the next
similar scenario.

3. Find the program that calls the work station rules information & do a
modification there that sub-strings the name of the calling job to get the 3
character prefix then if that equals CST then do an exception to the standard
software passing answers back to the CST programs.  This should be a
straightforward coding solution that will then be easy to apply to some other
prefix.

However, modifying the guts of BPCS call routines is something that I would
look at with some trepidation ... this affects ALL BPCS programs ... mess it
up & you just messed up all of BPCS.  We have not modified any of the SSA
standard call routines except some where we found bugs & could not wait on
tech support comprehension then resolution.

>  From:    bpcsmaynez@yahoo.com (Jesus Maynez)
>
>  Hello everybody,
>  I'm trying to run all my cost programs on a diferent JOBQ than the one
>  specified in my Workstation settings. I mean, all the other programs will
>  go to the BATCHL but all the ones that start with CST I want them to go to
>  a new job queue. How can I do that?
>
>  Thanks

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor