  • Subject: Re: GXR & GLH
  • From: Paul Holstein <holstein13@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 06:28:22 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

Let's take the two files one at a time.

First, the GXR file.  This is the Subsystem Cross Reference file and you may
or may not need its content.  This file helps you link back to the subystem
for any individual subsystem G/L entry.  This can be very helpful to help
you reconcile accounts or inquire into the G/L.  On the face of it, this
file would seam critical but the information in it may actually be
redundant.  With 6.04 macros, you can actually have all the information you
need to link to the subsystem written direcly to the GLH or GLA files.
Therefore, if you are using the proper macros in your models, you probably
can purge the GXR file carefully and selectively.

Note: I think you are better off getting more disk space than deleting this
data.

Now on to the GLH file.  This file is central to your general ledger.  It is
the General Ledger line detail.  You definately need all the data in this
file for the current year and probably for the previous year.  However,
there are tho things you can do to save room.  First, you could post in
summary.  I don't like this approach because, you will lose the ability to
reconcile your accounts easily if you don't have the detail.  However, some
clients reconcile daily and have no need to go back to the detail.

Secondly, you could purge old history from this file.  Many companies do not
need to report results from over two years ago.  If this is the case, you
could selectively and carefully delete old info from the GLH, GHH, GLA, GSX,
GXR and GSB files for the old data.

Again, I would be very careful before I did any purging.  Of course you
should back everything up to tape or a separate server before doing anything
like this.  Consider data warehousing.

--Paul Holstein
iWork Software, L.L.C