  • Subject: RE: ACP310 is not showing all the invoices
  • From: "Stauch, Richard A" <richard.stauch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 01:08:11 -0400

Dear Jesus,

I have had a little experience with subfiles and RPG. What we are talking
about is not the RPG, but the display file being generated; this is where
the error originates. This subfile generation is controlled, which implies a
group of control settings. Somewhere, in the application that creates your
RPG program, there must be control settings that determine if the subfile
will be keyed, or non-keyed, maximum record (9999), or program-controlled
(this is most likely). You need to look at this control setting -- or find
out what the application vendor built into it -- to know what is being
generated, since the display file (which contains the subfile record
information) is not being compiled from source (DDS Source, Member Type
DSPF).

Subfiles can be defined in different ways, so that the
Page-up/Roll-down|Page-down/Roll-up keys either (1) roll the subfile up or
down (depending on the number of records it has, and can display), or (2)
return control to the program that has to handle them accordingly (that is,
clearing the subfile and refilling it, each roll-up/down); which is how
display subfiles can handle physical files with millions of records. If the
former, it may indeed be a subfile size problem (but probably not). If the
latter, then this is probably data that is invalid for the subfile as
generated. The subfile, that is, may be keyed, but it could be getting data
from a file that is not keyed; that is, where duplicate records are
permitted. If the physical file is keyed as well as the subfile, then the
"duplicate record" type of error is simply misleading; which can happen when
the real problem is something the OS is not prepared to handle (even the
AS/400 does that sometimes). One possibility is corrupted data: something
that might not be easy to spot, such as a binary field with characters that
can't be displayed, or text data that is being interpreted (converted at
some point in the program) as numeric.

Try this: Create a test library (use CRTLIB, and don't forget to delete it
when you are done). Use CRTDUPOBJ to copy your physical file structure
there, with the same name (not the data, just the structure). Create an
appropriate number of records, with clean data (use DFU, or write a small
RPG program to fill it). Put the name of your test library at the front of
your library list (with EDTLIBL), then run your program against this test
file. If you still get the same problem, then it is the program/display file
at fault. If you don't, it's the data in your production physical file.

Anyway, I can only give you a few hints, things you might look at and try.
Good luck with it.

Richard Allan Stauch
System Engineer, EDS
*       (562) 809-4861 (Voice)