  • Subject: RE: AS/400 Report Writers
  • From: Paul Holstein <holstein13@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:23:07 -0700 (PDT)

George,

I forgot to answer your question on security.  Here are my thoughts.

I would set up a system DSN administered by the MIS department and make it
read-only.  This should prevent anyone from writing to the file.  Users
would then point to the system DSN and not to a user defined DSN.

Also, when teaching users Access, never show them how to set indexes on
their links.  As long as you don't specify the key files, a user can not
write to the file.

If you are writing applications in Access, it is relatively simple to create
user accounts within Access itself and lock down the database to authorized
users.

Keep in mind, however, that a smart user can always get around most security
precautions.  The only way around this is to not install the ODBC drivers on
their machines if you don't trust them.

--Paul Holstein
iWork Software, L.L.C.

On Fri, 5 May 2000 00:11:09 -0600, BPCS-L@midrange.com wrote:

>  Paul,
>
>  Thanks for the feedback.  Maybe you can help me lick this one. The issue
I'm