  • Subject: Re: DR Plan - Got one? Will it work?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:00:25 EDT

When we do a backup ... there is a message at the end either that the Save or
Restore was successful, or some other message, in which the Computer Operator
can see that we had a problem & we deal with it ... this is the reason that I
never leave backup running unattended without checking on it before I leave
the office for the evening, but when I am on vacation or at IBM school, my
helpers are less religious ... I find evidence that there were problems with
many backups from them not following my instructions properly ... I am
tempted to say "Do not even bother to do a backup when Mac is not in town."

Now an important question is whether the IBM message that the backup was
successful is a reliable message.

We all know that when BPCS jobs bomb, they send message to user that the job
ended successfully, because OS/400 only recognizes that the program ended,
not that it ended abnormally in BPCS terms.  May I presume that this is only
true of application software by 3rd parties on IBM systems, not true for IBM
jobs ... when an IBM job says it ended successfully, I have been trusting
that is always a true statement.

Apparently a lot of sites have some kind of unattended backup, which may have
some error messages regarding non-success of that backup, that are in a
message queue that no one pays attention to, and even if they did, very few
comprehend their meaning.  Is that a fair statement?

I have noticed with GO BACKUP that if a new library is added to our AS/400
that it is automatically added to all backups until we get a round TUIT to
review what belongs on what backups.  Thankyou IBM.

> From: sueu@alltel.net (Sue Underwood)
>
>  Friends,
>
>  Myself and others have spent the past 10 days or so assisting a company in
>  recovering lost data from a failed AS/400.  Trust me, it wasn't fun.  Now
>  the point is not that the 400 failed. (We all know that doesn't happen
very
>  often).  What's important is that the backup and recovery plan of this
>  organization didn't work.  Some critical files could be recovered from the
>  previous night's backup, but others had to be recovered from a SAVSYS that
>  was almost 2 weeks old at the time of the crash.
>
>  I don't wish to bore any of you with the details of the recovery, I just
>  want you to think about your company and your plan.  Do you have a plan?
>   Have you tested it?  Have you tried a 'hot site' recovery?  Are there
>  manual procedures for the users while the system is unavailable?  The
>  information tucked away in that pretty, black box is a company asset.  Are
>  you doing all you can to protect it?
>
>  Food for thought,
>  Sue

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
When you want it cheap - you get what you paid for.
When in doubt, read the manual, assuming you can find the right one.
+---