  • Subject: Re: Report writer or query?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:14:23 EST

The consensus of past threads on related topics on BPCS_L are that a company
should use NEITHER any report writer from SSA, NOR teach end users Query/400,
but rather get a quality report writer & PC inquiry tool that is
user-friendly, and does not require the query creator to have a PhD in BPCS
file structuring, and functions efficiently without locking up your AS/400 to
its knees, and works well with corporate notions of what data is
confidential, and is easy for anyone to tell whether it is giving out correct
answers, and will still be supported by the software vendor for years into
the future, of which there are a great abundance of wonderful tools out there
to choose from among.

You need to balance this vision of an ideal solution with how long it takes
your company to reach a decision on such matters ... you may be better off
starting to use a flawed tool this month & getting data right away that
people can use & abuse, than conducting a software evaluation with no
decision for years.

Suggestion ... think about what data your vice president might consider to be
the most confidential, such as break down of billing $ & cost of sales on
model lines of particular customers, showing profits ... that some executives
might not want the competition to see ... or a report on how much money
everyone makes, which some managers do not want the union to see, or detailed
copy of master card bill from expense reports that some departments might not
want others to use in the budget wars, or copy of company's annual P&L to the
stock holders, before adjustments ... then show the VP some of these examples
of what EVERYONE IN YOUR COMPANY will get to see, or possibly everyone on the
internet, depending on your e-policies, if the company does not carefully
select what tools should go into the hands of the end users.

Suggestion -2- work with that VP to jointly create some data the VP wants,
using whatever tool it is that the VP is enthusiastic about, so the VP can
see if the tool is flawed - plan on spending a large chunk of continuous time
on this, like a weekend day.

I used this approach with such an individual about 10 years ago ... he wanted
to download masses of BPCS data to his PC so that he could massage the data
to his heart's content using standard Windows utilities that he was
comfortable with & was not interested in a discussion with me about
alternatives & risks, so after one nite's backup/400, we started the download
running of what he was interested in & we all went home, for the purpose of
seeing in the morning from jobs history how long it took ... well his PC
bombed because he did not have enough Gig to get the data in his preferred PC
format & on the 400 side it said less than 10% of the file had been copied.
He rapidly lost interest in this idea, now that he had a personal practical
example of some of what I had been trying to talk about.

> Subj:  Report writer or query?
>  From:    stagis@fansteelvrwesson.com (Rob)
>
>  I don't know if this is even a valid question, but one of our
>  vice-presidents is making noise about the users using SSA's report-writer
>  generate reports on V6.1 Mixed-mode running on an AS/400.  Is it worth it?
>  Or do we train them on IBM's query?
>
>  Thanks in advance - Rob

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor for BPCS
405 CD mixed mode on AS/400
http://www.whma.org = our nitch industry has a large committee searching for
ErPdMes products right for WHM without work-arounds, which for many members
resemble a snipe hunt - if you are in this software business & want to fix
your product so it will not be mistaken for what your competition has been
doing, then you might want to join our great game.

Y2K is not the end of my universe, but a re-boot of that old Chinese curse.
The road to success is always under construction.
Stiff in opinions, always in the wrong.
When you want it cheap - you get what you paid for.
When in doubt, read the manual, assuming you can find the right one.
+---