  • Subject: Re: Standard cost roll up
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:48:23 EST

>  From:    srisai-paluri@abunayyangroup.com (Sri Sai Paluri)
>  Riyadh Saudi Arabia

>  We have 4.05 CD RISC
We also have AS/400 mixed mode BPCS 405 CD RISC

>  Standard cost roll up:
We run this almost nightly.

>  We have defined normal Bill of material (BOM 500). When we run standard
cost
> roll up, standard cost not getting rolled up.
>
>  If we define planning Bill of material (BOM 600) and run standard cost
roll
> up, standard cost getting rolled up.
>
>  We could not understand that why with normal bill of material,
>  standard cost is not getting rolled up.

Ok ... Costs get rolled up into CMF file if there is a record in the CIC file
for the corresponding combination of item & facility.

Records get into CIC if you have activity that would affect the MRP ...
orders, inventory changes ... or if someone puts a record there via MRP140.
Thus if you have new parts or parts moved into facility with no prior
activity, then the first standard cost roll-ups will ignore those items,
because there is no CIC record yet.

Those first transactions, that cause CIC record to be created, they will be
at zero cost for the cost riding along with the transaction history, because
CMF has no standard cost yet on them.  This can be a nuisance if you are
tracking your cost of doing business.  To avoid this, you may wish to include
MRP140 as part of your setup of items into new facility combinations.

We are careful to run MRP stuff before our CST600, to get CIC etc. right,
because we had to make a modification ... we have several production
warehouses in each facility & BPCS defaults only recognize one, so we have a
step to fix CIC default setups to agree with our internal rules for what
kinds of parts get made in which warehouses.

Do you have routings along with your BOM ... ie. SFC100 ... this is important
for standard cost roll-up from work centers.  We do BOM500 & ORD500 on our
new parts, to expedite raw material planning from MRP, before customers
approve samples, then when the customer likes our first effort, we put in the
actual routings to agree, and until the first roll-up after then, the
standard cost will not be correct.

Hoping I have clarified somewhat.

> From: stagis@fansteelvrwesson.com (Rob)

> I'd be interested in this, too.  I, too, and running 4.05CD
> and am happy with it, but the roll-up is a problem.

We reported a systemic bug on CST600 & CST900 & CST270 to SSA help line.

We use additional description lines very heavily, so that our shop floor
control documents spell out in great detail data regarding the parts being
manufactured.  Only the type-1 routing records need to be involved in cost
roll-ups & shop order purges ... the type-3 story just needs to follow along
with whatever happened to their preceding type-1 record, but SSA treats all
FRT & FOD lines as if they are type-1 records.

This bug means that many CST programs take excessively long time to execute &
generate print-outs that are overwhelming for humans to digest, like our
CST900 generates 20,000 pages with 6,000 open shop orders.  CST600 has page
after page of items updated with no changes ... it needs to have some variant
that only identified the lines that changed.  We use CST920 standard to
simulated weekly so that we can list what changed after cost roll-up to
somewhat help with this.

Figuring out why costs are messed up is a pain for many of our end users.
They need better tools for navigating where the costs come from.

There are some out there, but our management has not aquired any.
Check out "Manufacturing Cost Management" BPCS Enhancements @
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/services.html

Several other 3rd party outfits have additional stuff - check with your BPCS
consultants for what's best for you.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
When in doubt, read the manual, assuming you can find the right one.
+---