>  From:    HarryNicholl@hotmail.com (Harry Nicholl)
>
>  A recent posting discussed a suggested sequence for running the System
>  Reorgs programs. If anyone still has has this, please repost.

There have been several threads that included this topic & I have cut &
pasted some below, in which I dropped discussion off-topic from Harry's
question ... check original threads as needed.

What apparently is needed is that SOME System Reorg programs MUST be run as
part of the End-Month cycle,
with extreme sensitivity to sequence like what you run after INV900 (we have
check lists for EOM, EOY, & PHYSICAL INVENTORY POSTING) and there was also
discussion of reccommended modifications to help avoid certain problems,
while SOME ought to be run perhaps weekly,
while some (like BOM900) perhaps only need to be run once every quarter,
depending on the volatility of your business,
and we run SYS120 when a periodic Query tells us the volume of wasted disk
space has reached a thresh hold,
and in addition to the Reorgs supplied by SSA, we need to have some
additional reorg support.
There is also the issue of how best to manage this so that when you are in
the middle of dedicated stuff you do not have users signing on, like via PC
Anywhere from home, or a consultant dialing in on the ECS line.

Bear in mind that the ideal sequence varies with the precise mixture of
applications installed on what version of BPCS on what platform & up-time
schedules of global enterprises vs. regional mfg, and the varying policies of
different employers on risks of conflicts, security issues, data corruption
invitations, kinds of performance problems you experience, proper training,
etc.
Most of my users have command line authority & every night different folks
have gone home leaving some remote device signed onto BPCS, so when I need to
do dedicated work, like backup & or regenerations, or help with EOM,
(1) phone to confirm no one there (approx 400 short long distance phone calls
per year corporate expense unneccessary if some other policies were in
effect) & leave phone message asking them to try to remember not to be doing
this ... about 1 call in 20 there is someone working late
(2) end their job from WRKACTJOB

**********

Subj:    RE: BPCS Month-end close processes
Date:   02/04/2000 2:29:27 PM Central Standard Time
From:   LACELLE@rcmint.ca (Lacelle, Marc)

Many things have been said on this subject.

    Users signed on when job running
    Client Server
    Reorg Programs
    SSA

1. Users signed on when INV903,INV920 running
    SSA advised of 14 files to verify when month end run. BAD NEWS, what
about ZPA, HPC,     ZXU, ZMA, ZSC and so on.
    You can't rely on the 14 files they gave you. What if a user is
signed on to BPCS but sitting   on a main menu. You submit month end process
and this user decides to post transactions  using INV500. Month end
dies.

    How to Fix. WRKOBJLCK OBJ(BPCSXXXF/ZSC) OBJTYPE(*FILE)

    The ZSC file is the Security Master File, all users logged on to
BPCS use this file. If you  need to know who is on BPCS use the ZSC
file.

    Client Server: No problem use the ZQWS or the ZQWR file to find out
who is on the Client    side.

2. Reorg Programs.

    IN THIS ORDER

    INV970 the most destructive program ever written by SSA. Only run
this after month end. I have deleted this program and written an SQL to
replace it. (Users can't run SQL statements)
    INV972
    INV973
    SFC990
    ORD990
    INV971
    SYS990
    SYS994
    MRP990
    SFC971
    ACR970

3. Automated Month End
    When I respond to automated month ends, I thought you were talking
about INV903. I replied     that I had an Asset program and CL's to
submit INV920. Sorry I don't. We don't run INV920       here. I felt
bad so I wrote a program this morning. Works like a charm.

4. Month End taking 18-20hrs
    So sorry
    It's either the size of your AS/400 or Data related.

For those interested in my Asset program and CL's that submit month end and
reorgs forward me your fax numbers.

> ----------

**********

Subj:    RE: Inventory Month End Close
Date:   02/04/2000 2:39:23 PM Central Standard Time
From:   LACELLE@rcmint.ca (Lacelle, Marc)

    PLEASE do not ever issue a ENDSYS command. You have user's
transacting every moment of the day. Transactions may not get posted
correctly. The integrity of your data base will be lost.

    Use WRKOBJLCK using data file ZSC found in your data file library.
Advise user's that the system will be shutting down.

> ----------

**********

There were a bunch of postings about what work files need to be cleared, when
no one is using BPCS, such as the following examples.

Subj:    bpcs 6.1 tuning / clearing work files
Date:   02/15/2000 8:40:08 PM Central Standard Time
From:   Cdoe@barton-instruments.com (Chick Doe)

i read with fascination the posting from Peggy Heritz about clearing several
bpcs work files when the system is not being used. we have a nightly job that
clears several of these files (CLRPFM   ECHW,ECLW,ZEF etc). we learned about
these the hard way when we were having conflicts within the order entry
system.

**********

Subj:    Re: BPCS 6.1mm performance and the AS/400 - more ord performance
Date:   02/15/2000 12:05:14 PM Central Standard Time
From:   pheritz@CroweChizek.Com (Peggy A. Heritz)

More info related to performance tuning for green screen order entry.

In addition to ZEF, there are a number of work files that should have no
records
in them when no one is using BPCS:

ECHW
ECLW
ZPD
EWR
ZQWAP
QQWRP
ZQWSP
DQH
DQD

In one client situation, after clearing these files, some responses that were
originally  45 seconds to 1.5 minutes went to around 5 seconds

Peggy Heritz
http://www.crowechizek.com/scg/