  • Subject: Re: PC's Locking up when in BPCS
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:45:50 -0600

Hello,

Our official recommendation is what I (and Mike Sassman of the SSA PC
HelpLine) posted previously on this thread last week. There is an open BMR
on this, BMR44360 that we are actively trying to fix. The problem is quite
elusive, but several intermediate patches (called OPS Runtime Service Packs)
are available that help to reduce the incidence of the problem. In addition,
the SSA PC Helpline should be contacted so that they can go over your set-up
to optimize it as regards the information we currently have on what seems to
make the problem happen most often. My other posts were to help people
understand the difference between the complete lock up, which you and the
BMR43360 describe, and the more common application hang, which users
sometimes confuse with a true lock up.

The only thing at this point known for certain is that the problem is
related to the interaction between the BPCS runtime on the PC (called OPS or
Newi) and the Win95 (and possibly Win98) operating system kernel. The server
is irrelevant to this problem. Several memory leaks and other problems have
been corrected in each release of the Service Pack, but the problem is not
completely gone. Some sites will put on a new Service Pack and go for a week
or more without lock up, and we will think that it is resolved, but then
suddenly it will again recur. After a few OPS service packs were released,
we were unable to reproduce it here, and thought it was resolved, but again,
eventually it recurred.

When the crash occurs, it totally destroys the Win95 program stack, so it is
very difficult for us to find out afterwards exactly what has happened,
because absolutely no trace remains for us to analyze (the program stack is
already corrupted by the time advanced Windows debugging utilities catch it,
and the original problem betwen BPCS and the OS, which is causing the error
is already lost). We are working on it with these Windows debugging
utilities at the moment but this is not a simple problem to resolve, as it
lies very close to the Win95 OS. Originally we could not duplicate the
problem in-house, but now have dedicated some of our testing resources to
reproducing this and finally have come up with a set of interactions which
reproduce it "almost-at-will" - as you likely know it is an unpredictable
and intermittent problem - the same set of keystrokes that lead to it on one
day may not produce it the next day. It also seems to affect the heaviest
users of BPCS who are keying in information the most often or the fastest.

This same problem you described does not happen on the Win NT operating
system, which is why the discussion thread here wandered off in that
direction - that is our only known and proven resolution at the present
time. In the meantime, we want as many clients as possible to log in their
calls to HelpLine so that when the next Service Pack is released, you can be
notified and so that we have a better idea as to how many clients this is
affecting. This problem has very high visibility and priority to R&D at SSA
right now.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA