  • Subject: Re: Should you Summarize?
  • From: Francois Charbon <cipe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 19:52:23 +0100

I agree, it can be a mess.

However, I think it depends of :
1) The version you are using.
2) Your context, especially for legal or country reasons and practices.
3) The size of your mass memory !

1) Version :
On BPCS versions before the V5.2 (where CEA is not installed) it is very difficult to summarize. As Paul mentionned : "If you summarize, you lose the ability to tie down individual transactions from the Ledger to the Subsystem.  This can make it extremely difficult to reconcile the G/L to the subsystem.  With inventory, A/P, A/R, and cash to reconcile, it is much better to post in detail...". I fully agree.
But with CEA you can use of other arguments. For example, you can :
- Dedicate some segments of the Chart of Account of a ledger to a reconciliation. For example you can define a segment for customers or vendors or Item numbers or, etc... (because you must define the value of these segments, it could be interesting to establish a trigger in your AVM, RCM, IIM, or, etc... definitions, so that the values are automatically created when you create a new occurence).
- Define a specific ledger and book by category of reconciation you need. For example, you can create a specific ledger for the reconciliation of customer operations which geives the detail when the global ledger is summarized. The 2 ledgers are updated by the same events (they are defined in different lines of the same event definition), etc ....

2) Context
In some countries, (for example in France), you must (LEGAL) be able to give to the administration the detail of your entries in a journal. That means that you cannot summarize. But again, depending of the version installed, you are free to give a dedicated journal of a specific ledger (for example "Journal des ventes", i.e. Customer billing journal from a specific ledger for billing, in addition to the global ledger) without any summarization, when your global ledger (which is not specifically dedicated to this transaction type but to the all BPCS transactions) can be summarized without any problem.

François

Wolf, Roger a écrit:

We had to summarize certain transactions.  We had more the 9999 posting going to it when we tried detail.  It was a mess.

We are on BPCS 405 CD.