I ran an Interactive SQL session & a WRKACTJOB session, disconnect the RJ45 from my PC Ethernet card for about 10 seconds then reconnects it back without any network or AS/400 problem.  The SQL and my WRKACTJOB sessions were active and still running.  Is the RJ45 connection at my PC different from the RJ45 connection at the back of the AS/400 leading to all CLIENTS?

How & Why?  Remember, I have an ETHERNET card in the AS/400 and all CLIENTS are connecting over IP.

Oludare
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: AS/400 IP COMMUNICATION WAIT TIME

I'm assuming that the clients all have ethernet cards.  If so, the NIC is listening to the network for messges addressed to it.  I would imagine you will cause all sorts of problems if you disconnect your RJ45 connection.

Think of it as disconnecting your telephone line from your home modem while connected to the internet.  You might keep the line up for a second, but it's not a good idea.

From an electrical engineer's point of view, you're going to cause all sorts of reflections on the line.

Bottom line, I wouldn't do it.  I can't begin to imagine WHY you'd want to do it!

William