  • Subject: RE: BPCS Docs
  • From: "George Sagen" <gsagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:03:29 -0700

In addition to all the helpful comments I would add that it helps to
differentiate between the different types of documentation:

Courseware, Reference Manuals, Desktop Procedure Manuals, Technical Manuals,
Intallation and Configuration Docs, and Windows Help Files.

1. Courseware. Comes with an exercize database. SSA and some other 3rd
parties make these. Courseware is intended to give generic training on
implementing and operating a BPCS system. Because it is delivered as public
courses, it is often too general for a new user to learn the day-to-day
operation of specific tasks. Courseware must be used in conjunction with
additional specialized materials (Reference Manuals and Desktop Procedure
Manuals) for an end user to make the leap from the courseware to his/her
daily job. You will usually have to pay $$$ for courseware and the
associated classes. TANSTAAFL*

2. Reference manuals. Typically describe each program, screen, and field.
The ones I see in the field tend to be the BPCS Context Sensitive Online
Help exported then formatted for printing and binding. These can be accessed
in the documentation menu (DOC). These are great for researching the use of
a particular program or field that you see on the screen. Sometimes they
will describe how the program relates to other BPCS programs or where the
program is used in a workflow. To get at this data within a BPCS program,
position the cursor on the field in question and hit F1 for context
sensitive help. Position the cursor off of a field to get help for the
program as a whole.

3. Desktop procedure manuals. Keystroke-by-keystroke level help. Clients
typically write these themselves, sometimes with the help of consultants
that served on the implementation. Every client uses the software
differently so they must be user generated. They are often a combination of
the user designed workflow, screen shots, text cut and pasted from the
reference manuals, and environment specific verbiage. These are best created
during the conference room pilot stage of implementation and are by far the
best tool for training a new user on the daily steps of his/her job. Failure
to create these is one of the most common implementation mistakes.

4. Technical manuals. Use by IT staff and power users. These describe the
back end of BPCS, its messaging architecture, table layouts and
relationships, etc. These can be hard to hunt down. Consultants often share
what they have with clients that express interest. The right person on
helpline can sometimes get you a specific file to solve a specific problem.
Beware of copyright issues. Stay current on your OGS so you can get these
without any ethical problems. Many can be downloaded from
http://www.ogs.ssax.com.

5. Installation and configuration docs. Used to install the server and PC
software objects and perform initial environment setup tasks. These are the
manuals you find on the CD. Some of them cover security, optimization and
CEA configuration help as well.

6. Windows helpfiles. Client server versions only. Hypertext. Pull them up
on the help pull-down menu or using F1. Print them if it makes you feel more
like you have a manual.

There...I've written my first book. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Geo.

* TAANSTAFL "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." ("The Moon is a
Harsh Mistress", Robert A. Heinlen)

George Sagen
gsagen@primesourcetech.com
PrimeSource Technologies, Inc.