  • Subject: RE: BPCS Docs
  • From: "Martin, Jerri" <JMartin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:32:16 -0500

I have printed this documentation and it doesn't serve my needs.  The
documentation that is included is how to run the jobs, which isn't adequate
when you are trying to resolve a problem or make in-house enhancements.  I
have a previous employee's workshop manual for concepts and applications.
There are product integration flows and setup flows, which is good.  But add
the files that are used in the process and it would be better.  Add the
programs used and that would be great.  Add such information such as when
the transaction codes on the RAR changes to a 'Z' and that would be
wonderful.  Explain about what happens when a transaction is backed out and
what it leaves in the file.

My wish list is to have the process flows documented including the program
and file names used.  I'd also like to have a listing of the code
description for all fields holding coded information.  I'm sure there are
other pieces of documentation that I would want, but I don't know what to
ask for, because I don't know what I don't know.  Try giving the current
documentation to an experience programmer who doesn't have any BPCS
experience and ask them to figure out why something isn't working as
expected.  Time how long it takes them.

People can be educated in many ways.  Some only need comprehensive
documentation, some need classroom education or tutorials and some need
both.  I wouldn't anticipate a loss of revenue if good documentation is
available, if anything it would enhance the product.  The company that I
work for is willing to spend the money for documentation and education.  We
just can't seem to get it from SSA.  We are going to a third party for
education, but again they don't have the documentation.

I've just finished reading Al Macintyre's reply and would like to beg him to
put together the reference material on where to find all the documentation
he has mentioned.  I've check with the local library, bookstores and
internet trying to find this information and haven't been able to.  I'm sure
I'm not the only one that would appreciate this information.

+---