We use a data collection package written by CBSI for BPCS 6.0.02 on the
AS/400 using Symbol 5250 emulation.
We allow users on our system almost 24/7. We backup our BPCS files nightly
using save while active using a 3570 mag star takes about 20 minutes.

We have been using SYNERGY; CBSI's package since we were on BPCS 3.1.1.
Works most of the time flawless.
It addresses ASN's on early versions of BPCS as well as 6.0.02.

We have setup a wide area network which includes Cisco routers and Bay
hubs. ATT is our long distance carrier. Telecommunications are up 90 + % of
the time. We are down 2 times a month, for Month-end processing (last night
of the month for about 7 hours) and for a complete system backup (weekend
before month-end for about 4 hours). We do a scheduled IPL at 6:00 am every
Sunday morning takes about 10 minutes.

If you can live with that small amount of down time, you can use their
package and save some money.

The key is auto packet switching, allowed by your equipment and your long
distance carrier for minimal telecommunications down time.

I realize the 5250 emulation is not new technology, but it allows your
staff application developers the ability to maintain your bar-code
applications without retraining, because they are in RPG on the AS/400.

Sincerely,

Chris Ertz
Software Development Manager
American Metal Products